Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #31 (permalink)
hhaidar

Default My proto ct review.

First of all, i'm new here, so hello everyone! I've been lurking for a bit and its a very cool forum. I have been lucky enough to ride a proto for the past week, here is my review...which I also posted over on easyloungin.
OK, Here's my Proto CT Review.
Me 5'10, 150 lbs. I normally ride a NS EVO 155.
Board NS Proto CT 157 w/cartels.
I've finally gotten enough time on this board to feel confident writing a review of it. Overall I like it...a LOT. While the same shape as the evo Its a good deal stiffer, both longitudinally AND torsionally. As such it feels a lot more stable at higher speeds, and on edge. The board feels damper than my evo for sure... there is a lot less chatter going on in choppy conditions. I really enjoyed carving on it and the pop. oh my god the pop. I got a LOT more snap out of the tail than on my evo, on small side hits I was consistently getting much more of a boost of of the proto than I would on my evo.
Today I took it to the park and lapped a 20' park jump on it and I found the stability and pop to be really nice. The landings had some ruts on them that the Proto absorbed really nicely...like I didn't really have to think about it much. In contrast, when I hit the same jump afterwards on my Evo, the landings had a lot more chatter to absorb and I felt like I had to be a little more mindful of not getting bucked.
What didn't work out well for me on the Proto CT was the size of the one I'm on. I weigh 150 lbs and couldn't manipulate the board in presses the way I would like to. I enjoy butter combos and presses on my evo, and there was no way that was happening comfortably on the Proto. I'm chalking this up to the size of the board I was on. Some of my larger friends were able to press the Proto very nicely. I am strongly considering buying one for next year, as I think its a great "does everything board", but I think I would be looking at the 152.
Overall I think the Proto CT is a great board that will suit a lot of riders, especially those looking for an all mountain, do-anything twin. It has everything I like about the shape of the Evo, but with just a bit more of everything. More snap, more pop, more stability, more dampness. It also weighs a lot less.
I would highly recommend this board to intermediate+ riders looking for an all mountain freestyle board, especially those who find the evo to be too soft.. I hope this review is helpful, I've never really written one before. If i can give any more info, please let me know.
hhaidar is offline   Reply With Quote