Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - My 5YO on the Slopes for the First Time!
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
whiskaz

Default My 5YO on the Slopes for the First Time!

So yesterday was pretty much awesome. The private lesson may not have been worth the money I paid for it but it gave my daughter and I both a little more confidence I think. I'm not sure if the instructor had worked a lot with little kids. Another instructor in the lodge offered up several hints/tips post-private lesson. He'd had some more formal training with munchkins apparently.

Anyway, after the lesson, she insisted she was done with the bunny slope, but I wanted to make sure I could handle her with the harness on, so we went down it once more. Very smooth. I should have maybe worked with her more on the falling leaf and so forth (the instructor said she was doing it for him) but she just wanted to cruise and get on the chairlift! Since I figured it was all about her having fun, we went for it. Especially since the bunny run went smoothly.

The first run was a little disastrous between me keeping speed in check (without coming to a complete stop in places) and her being cold/tired/hungry. There were some tears but we made it down! She went into the lodge with her mom for some hot cocoa and lunch. After that she was ready to go. We headed back out and made it down pretty clean- no tears or anything. The run had a couple of steeper/faster sections which she really enjoyed. I was able to steer her some with the harness. We made another 3 or 4 runs before she got too cold and was done for the day. She didn't want to leave though and can't wait to go back! Sounds like a win to me!

On a side note, I have a difficult time keeping my speed in check, even on mellow stuff, when I have a very narrow area to work with (e.g. right beside my kid). Guess I need to read up on some tips for that (cattracks, etc).

Some pics!

With her instructor:

Ready to shred:

Cruising with the harness: