Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - My 5YO on the Slopes for the First Time!
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
herzogone
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskaz View Post
Oh man...if I let her off leash she'd kill herself. I know because it happened a couple of times. Even on a relatively flat area at the end of the run, I let go of the ropes and she just started cooking it (I guess it was a little steeper than I thought). She has no concept of turning or stopping so she would have slammed into the lift but for the fact that she sort of went toeside and fell down.

Soon enough...
I can relate to the concern, I took my almost 5YO son out twice now and had similar concerns about just letting him go, but he has been good at following my instructions to lift his toes and sit on his butt if necessary. He seems to grasp going heelside pretty readily, although he struggles much more with toeside. I think this is common for a lot of people. I'm sure the instructors on here can provide better insight, but in my case getting my son to the point where he could follow my instructions to do a heelside turn (even if he falls on his butt) has allowed him to have fun going down the gentle greens with me following. He is totally stoked! I was really skeptical about even starting him at first since he gets frustrated easily, but he kept begging to go and now I can't believe how much he loves it!

Anyhow, congrats, I think it's awesome you got your daughter into it already!

Here's some video from his third or fourth run down the beginner trail (apologies for the quality and length, it was really aimed at family members viewing).

Last edited by herzogone; 02-10-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
herzogone is online now   Reply With Quote