Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Why do blue runs have all these snow mounds?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
fayewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
First of all, congrats on your progression; it is great to hear that you are making headway and having fun....

As to your question, these things are mogul or "bumps". They are created by the turns that skiers make going down the steeper blue runs. Over time, small trenches get worn and mounds build up from the snow spray that gets kicked to the side. The don`t happen on green runs because the terrain is mellow enough that there is not reason for skiers to make these quick turns on.

Right now, avoid them...stick to runs that are groomed every night and ride them early before the moguls get created. You are nowhere near ready to have to deal with these things yet.

And don`t feel bad about catching an edge on a rocker....I did an epic high speed violent edge catch Thursday in a switch carving clinic. I was on a rocker and I just got sloppy. The heel edge under the back foot snagged and I had a total yard sale moment. At the speeds I typically ride, it was like being hit by a locomotive...
Thank you Snowolf! I really couldn't do it without your help. Your explanations were very very clear!!! Yeah, those mogul were throwing me off quite a bit! I need to find a resort that has really long mellow greens, I'll be really happy if i can find one!
Do they groom blue runs too usually? (sorry, this is my first season ever up in the mountain so I don't know these things, i didn't even know what groomed means at first!)

How often do I have to wax my board by the way? The board I have is sintered base. I watched a video of how to wax the board, and the though of putting an iron over my board is freakn me out.
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote