Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What is important, the size of the board or the weight limitation of the board?

9K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  GeoFX 
#1 ·
Well after much reading and researching on this forum and any forums that has info about the products, I just read myself in to more confusion. What is the most important aspect in choosing a board, the size of the board or the weight limitation of the board? I am a beginner hopefully moving into an intermediate level. I currently ride a Flow Merc 151 all mountain directional board, flex rating is 2 out of 5. I am 5’4”, 156lbs, stance width 18”, with an inseam of 29, mostly stay on Green and Easy Blue groom runs. With my size, it seems that a good size for me would be 148cm-150cm size board, but some boards on the 148 size range has a weight limit of 140 pounds which I exceed. I am looking for a board that is stable at speed and all around good board for different conditions from light power to ice. I don’t do too much park, but I will do easy 2 – 4 foot jumps. I narrowed my choices to the fallowing boards.

Rome Agent Rocker in 151 – maybe to big for me?

Salomon Drift Rocker in 148 – I exceed the weight limit (140lbs.) for the board.

Capita Horrorscope FK 147 or 149

K2 WWW 148

Forum Destroyer 148 with Chilly Dog.
Forum Youngblood 148 with Chilly Dog

Ride Machete 152 – this is the smallest size they make. Is it to big for me?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'd put you on a 155/158.

Also, I wouldn't be looking at super flexible boards, if you're not very interested in butters / rails. They will chatter at speed and will not hole an edge well.

You should be getting a med-stiff board, something targeted more at All Mountain / Big Mountain.

I'm not familiar with many of those boards but WWW I know is a noodle. And any board will be too soft if you're in the upper end of the weight range for it.

Machete 155 would be okay but 158 would be better.

#3 ·
You will probably want to go with more of a 152-154 Range. With those shorter boards you won't have as much control. Also if you don't plan on riding park much you will want a medium stiffness board. Don't get one that is too stiff though because who knows you might change your mind.

#4 ·
What is it that you don't like about your current board? You might be better off riding it until you advance to the point where you know exactly what you want in your next board. Weight is a primary factor in choosing a board but at 5'4" you height is also important, if you get a board that is too long you may not be able to set the stance narrow enough for you.

#5 ·
I agree with cifex. I'm not sure what made you think you should be in the 148-150 range as that seems way too small to me.

I think technically based on weight you probably fall in a range of like 152-158-ish. Generally, you'd go to the short end of your range if your a freestyle/park rider and the higher end if you are a carver/freerider. You claim to be the latter.

Most importantly, you should fall somewhere in the weight range (preferably the middle) designated by the manufacture for a given board - that is the most accurate gauge of how the board is intended to perform.

The other issue, as cifex mentioned, is the flexibility of the board. A soft/flexible board will benefit you only if you are riding a certain way (tricks), whereas a moderately stiffer board will provide more stability.

I'm not fmailiar with many of the boards you mention, but am a fan of Ride and know the Machete gets good reviews. If you look at the specs for the machete on their website, you actually fall in the mid/upper range for the 155 and right in the middle of the 158 size. U

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply. That totally changes the boards that I have been doing research on. Most of the guys I talked to at different snowboard shops sized me up by just placing a board in front of me. A 148cm board was recommended since it was by my nose area and that would be a good size for me. They said that if I go any bigger, I may not be able to control the board. With a board size of 155 to 156 it is as tall as I am..haha..One of them also suggested that I use the Burton board finder. From that, the website suggested a 148 Custom Flying V up to a Burton 150 Joystick. From there, I sort of looked at similar board specs from Transworld Good Wood Test Results.

My concern is that with my short stance width of 18” for my bindings, a larger board will put me above that. I am at the shortest setting on my current board.

The board I have now is working for me, I just wanted to take advantage of end of season sales to get a new board. I guess the smart thing to do is to hold off and see how I progress. Again thank you for your opinions, time, and suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
Most of the guys I talked to at different snowboard shops sized me up by just placing a board in front of me. A 148cm board was recommended since it was by my nose area and that would be a good size for me.
Why is this still going on? If you read almost anything reasonably intelligent about snowboard sizing these days, it will state that weight is the key (or even the exclusive) factor. Why haven't all shop clerks gotten the message? What kind of bubble could they possibly be working in?

#7 · (Edited)
You're pretty heavy so unless that 148 is really stiff, you should prolly go a little longer, like 152+ at least, especially if you want to basically free-ride. If you're mostly into riding fast, I'd go for the stiffer board. You will not have as much control over it for now because you are not that good yet, but as you improve and get more comfortable at high speeds, you will futureproof your setup. In general, if you're not into the "park" and are aiming for speed, just go stiffer...unless you don't really snowboard that much that it will take you a long time to get to that level. That's your call whether you want to try medium first. And if you get "really good", a stiffer board is better for long jumps too in the park. Though normally, the recommended progression is to start small. But heck, if you're so fast and fly over declines at 40 mph and land perfectly...it's not much of a difference going over 60 foot booters. ;)

If you like ice, look into "magnetraction". I have one of those boards and it's pretty good. Like my park RC (reverse camber) board is better on icy terrain than my stiff C board and RC and soft usally means crappy edge hold. But magnetraction smokes the ice.

Also, I'm about your height but weigh much less than you and shoppies had recommened that I get a 156 because I told them I can do basically any double black diamond run. So they prolly said that because they didn't think you'd be going that fast or whatever at your level. But I recently got a 148 anyway because I going for park and I don't really like to go fast. I feel I'm wasting my ticket if I get down that fast and it's not that "fun" vs. freestyle for me anyways.

#10 ·
Thanks Guys, looks like I still have a lot to learn. I am still a beginner, just been on the slopes about 15 times, been driving every weekend, 400 miles round trip to get to the slopes to practice. Anyway, thanks for your time for posting and pointing me in the correct direction.

We are having a snow storm this week in Northern California, it should be a great 3 day weekend on the slopes.

#12 ·
That Burton Board finder is stupid.
I did an aggressive freeride with No park and the Custom Flying V 148 was there at 100%.
I did an soft slower with park likely and the Custom Flying V 148 was there at 97%.

It's almost like they are trying to push that board...or maybe it's what they have in stock the most??? Phht...whatever. Don't trust that site.

#14 ·
Something everyone forgets is your boot size. Longer boards have wider waist widths. I'm about 5'7", 160lbs, with size 7 boots. Lots of people recommend a 155-157cm board for me at my weight but boards at those sizes may be too wide for me (most of these boards are above 25cm ww) to torsionally flex properly(unless it's a noodle).

Took me forever but I settled on a 153 Never Summer SL based on recommendations from NS and a person here. I was debating between the 153 (24.4cm ww) or 155 (25.1cm ww). Decided for my feet, the narrower board was the way to go. NS told me differences in flex between the 153 and 155 were minimal which helped make the decision even easier. Ride mainly blue groomers, trees, and in the bowls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.