Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

After you buy a new board...

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ev13wt 
#1 ·
So recently, i bought my first set of snowboard. I ordered my board online so I would have to do all the mounting and stuff by myself. However, do I have to do anything else before i can use the snowboard? like detuning the edges or something?

I am newbie and help is much appreciated! thanks!

I bought a stepchild Salaryman Btw :)! love the graphics lol

#6 ·
I would completely recommend that your wax you own board. Waxing your board not only is one of the easiest things you can do to help your ride but it also will save a bunch of money and you will end up with a superior wax job. Check out the videos and information listed here http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/7010-guides-waxing-tuning-board-repair.html. Also shops charge around $25 bucks from experience and thats if you leave it overnight. It costs double on average to rush the job.

#7 ·
The factory wax should get you through most of the first day depending on the snow conditions. Colder snow will pull the wax off quicker than soft, wet snow.

The more wax you push into your board, the longer the wax will last and the more protected your base is. Some will argue with me, but you can never wax your board too much.

If you use an all-temperature wax, I'd wax/scrape/brush a couple of times before heading out.

If you use temperature-specific waxes, I'd push a couple of layers of warm wax first, and then whatever temperature wax the conditions call for on top of that. The idea is that the warm wax will sink in further into the base and create a foundation for the colder waxes to bond to.

Whichever route you go, waxing your own board is easier and far cheaper than using a shop.

#8 ·
Just make sure the factory wax job has no dry spots, personally I would just ride it as it is. Do not bother detuning unless your first day is going to be all park and rails. I love the feeling of new sharp edges, but I do more freeriding so :dunno:.
Other than that definitely learn to wax your own board, it's super easy and just takes a small investment in the proper tools and a good quality wax. By the time you run out of wax it would have definitely paid for itself compared to taking it in for waxes.
Tuning depends on how much you ride and wear down them edges, usually once a year is sufficient. But if you only get maybe 5 days in a year of riding you don't really need to worry about it until there noticeably dull.

#11 ·
If you are jibber, then yes, detunes are usually in order. Even then, the vast majority of jib boards come factory detuned nowadays.

But none of that matters seeing that you are new.

Just mount your bindings and ride as is. I think people worry way too much about factory wax. I have always ridden factory wax the first day. On Burton boards, I actually ride a couple days on it. Some companies obviously have a better waxing process than others so just give your base a look over after your first day. You will be able to see dry spots if the wax wore out.

Learning to wax your own board is the best method. There are tons of videos out there that show you how. I do admit, I have taken my boards to the shop here and there on lazy days. I always watch them do it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.