Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Salomon Relay Pro Bindings (Soft/flexible heel cup technology!)
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
captainowns

Default Salomon Relay Pro Bindings (Soft/flexible heel cup technology!)

Well I just got the steal of the century on these bindings, so I couldn't turn them down. These bindigns typically go for $170 or so, but I managed to pick up a pair of bindings that were used for display, for $60!

For those not familiar with the technology behind these boots, they use a fabric/flexible metal combination for the heel cup. They then run a steel cable up to the back of the highback, and afix it to the base, with adjustable forward lean. This means that for heelside turns, you have the stiff rigidty that you need, however flexibility side to side is vastly increased. Despite the amount of materials used in this process, the bindings remain amazingly light weight, and fit great! I used these bindings to replace a pair of modified drak super sports (with burton toe caps), and they were significantly lighter, and even more comfortable in fit.

I took the binding out riding this past wednesday, and I was REALLY stoked to get on it. At first it was interesting to have a setup as light as I have (I rock a forum warrior 160 board), because over the bumps I could certainly feel the additional chatter from the reduced weight. In the first run I attempted a butter over this plateau feature on the side of the trail, to not much success. Buttering is certainly not impossible in these bindings but different. Typically you just shift your weight over the nose or tail to butter, and the bindings side to side ridgidity automatically places you in a butter. As these bindings have minimal lateral support, you have to lean AND pick up your foot intentionally. It was different at first, but I quickly adjusted to the difference.

As far as general riding goes, the setup is amazing. It fits better than most bindings. Traditional freestyle oriented bindings will strap lower over the heel of your feet, to allow for lateral movement. These bindings howeve can strap DIRECTLY over your heel to hold your foot in, without reducing lateral movement at all, due to the fabric heel cup. Because of this, the binding resulted in less foot cramping, reduced heel lift, and as expected increased lateral movement (TWEAK THOSE GRABS!)

I rode pretty hard with this board all day. In the park I was hitting the largest tables stomping backside 3's and 5's with ease. I jumped in the super pipe and chaged some crazy airs, and the bindings road as good as I could have asked for the whole time. While no piece of equipment is going to really make you ride THAT much better, I found these bindings didn't hinder my riding at all, unlike other bindings sometime painful/heavy designs.

So, maybe it was just the AMAZING spring like riding I had this past Wednesday, or maybe these bindings really are just freaking amazing, but I had an amazing time on them, I think they kick some serious butt, and I'm stoked on them.

PS: Anyone want to buy some super ghetto drake super sports? hahaha.