Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Too much board for a rookie?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
LineDawg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel8tedOne View Post
Alright, since my last thread and with some great advice, it looks like I've narrowed my choice to a 162 wide Gnu Carbon Credit. The problem is now I'm seeing lots of boards going on sale, and now dropping into my price range, so my question is do I go for more of a board and grow into it, or stay with the beginner board? The other boards I'm now looking at:

161w Gnu riders choice
163w K2 slayblade
163w Ride highlife

The usual stats, 6'1", 245ish, 12.5 boots, and only been out 6 times.

Thoughts?
If you go with a beginner board and push hard you will reach the limitations of the board quickly. Considering you weight, I would be looking into at least a 165 with a minimum waist of 26cm. With 12.5 dogs you need to pay close attention to the waist. Some boards are labeled as wides but only have around 25cm waist. You will end up getting toe or heal drag from the narrower boards. The shorter the total length the less float your gonna get in powder due to your weight. Personally, I would go with the better quality board and save some money in the long run. The Slayblade and Highlife both get good reviews. I have never ridden either board due to the fact that I don't mess with boards that are mass produced in China. Not that there's any thing wrong with them just personal choice to keep my money here in the US.