Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Awkward Dimensions - Poor Luck
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shwank

Exclamation Awkward Dimensions - Poor Luck

Disclaimer: I hate basketball.
So here goes, I have a particularly awkward frame. I am 18 years old, 6'6" (78in/198cm) tall. I have a size 17 boot (size 18 shoe) and am 215 lbs. I found boots at the ride bigfoot program (a.) and surprisingly enough, my stock bindings (b.) worked. Those guys are heroes for me. I currently am almost completely unable to find jackets/snowpants that would fit my frame. If they are tall enough (which I cant find) they are too wide at the waist for me.I'm not sure how well the included belt straps are in conjunction with an added belt, but I have a 36"/92cm waist and 37"/94.5cm inseam.
As for jackets, I've all but given up on finding one that will vertically fit me. If does the sleeves are too short, shell too baggy, etc etc I have multiple coats that I could, and do use, but they are constrictive and allow much too much snow in. I don't feel comfortable in these jackets while snowboarding.
My boots aren't much of an issue, I've gotten use to my board (c.). I know how far I can generally carve before I hit my boots and slip out. I want to be replacing my current board with an Elan El Grande 171. I love the powder so a long board is a must and isn't too far out of my original weight range either (which is around 165 or so). I'm hoping I can dial in my bindings and eliminate a lot of my toe/heel drag. I currently have about 4 inches total of boot over my board. 1 in the back and 3 out front. Lifters look sketchy as hell so I want to avoid them. Any other suggestions?

I'm living in Alaska and I'm forced to wear running pants over my jeans because they give me a semblance of snowpantyness Surprisingly enough, I don't get too cold with a polyester base and cotton second layer. Of course, I wouldn't mind being a bit warmer.

I've done a lot of looking, and as far as I can tell, I prefer Grenade snowpants and jackets over most other brands. I'm not too satisfied when it comes to looking at Burton's lineup, but 686 does look promising. I would prefer to have white gear, but with my options slim and my time shortening by the day, I would probably take anything. Worst comes to worse, I would like to get gear that fits me. I should be all about done growing (please, God, stop growing my feet). When it comes to what i'll pay, nothing over 165 or so for the pants and jackets UNLESS they are custom. Do you guys know any companies that will customize garments for the vertically blessed (more like challenged)? I've been looking around and heard that for a price just about any company would.

Apologies for the long read and broad topics. Please move this thread at will. I can even break each part into its suggestive category if necessary.
Yes, I included a tl;dr (too long; didn't read)
Will companies custom-make clothing to specific measurements or am I forced to forever suffer for my height?

Thank you all for your help!

a.(boots) Ride Bigfoot Snowboard Boots 2011 | evo

b. For those of you curious, these are my bindings. However it appears they are out of 11-15, which fits my 17's. Mens Snowboard Bindings, Burton Freestyle Bindings Buckmans Ski Shop and Snowboard Shop - Men's, Women's, Burton, Spyder, Marmot, Kjus, K2, Salomon, Ride

c. (Board - 151) K2 Fuse Snowboard - Wide - 2005 BCS from Dogfunk.com
Shwank is offline   Reply With Quote