Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Hiking and riding Muir Snowfield
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
schmitty34
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder28 View Post
I'm guessing you have a splitty and skins? If not, then stick to Mazama Ridge for sure. The hike up in the middle of winter can be pretty brutal if you're just boot packing. The ridge is much more accessible for a boot pack than Camp Muir proper. I would imagine Rainier should have some fresh pow for you though, so get up there and enjoy! I love paradise and I bet you will too.
Just boots with my board on my pack....I'll have collapsible poles too, but no skins or snowshoes.

I'm rolling up with a pretty big group that has done this before (some are very experienced) so I assume they are taking us up something that is doable without skins because I know several people in the group are doing the same as me.

So is Mazama ridge just a different route up, or a completely different destination? It sounds like the plan is to start at Paradise and hike to Muir, so is that going to be a brutal hike? The guy leading it told me it was totally doable in boots (that's what he's doing), but maybe they've never taking the group this time of year??? Hmmmm....now you got me wondering
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote