Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Weekend Radiohead disappointment
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
JoeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Moves View Post
While I've enjoyed much of Radiohead's music, they've never really shown a huge progression. The people that thought they progressed into something eccentric or innovative when they started the electronic infusion were just less educated on a wide array of music.
There's a difference between progression and innovation. Just because Radiohead wasn't necessarily the first artist to explore certain styles doesn't mean that the band didn't grow or move forward on its own evolutionary path. There's definitely a jump between OK Computer and Kid A (I'm referring to distance from conventional pop music rather than quality).

Quote:
Most of what is mentioned in the original post is essentially what I'd expect from Radiohead. Maybe after this album, you too have grown to expect what they give.
That's rather unfair, and illogical too, I must say. The fact that I consider The King of Limbs a bit of a dud doesn't detract from Radiohead's previous work, much of which is brilliant. Hail to the Thief was No. 3 on my personal list of favorite rock albums of the last decade; that judgment is not affected by whatever the band happens to be doing in 2011.

Quote:
With that, I will probably purchase a hard copy (vinyl) if/when it is released. I can wait, but I'm sure I'll be listening to mp3s this week.
You can preorder vinyl now; it will be a fancy (and expensive) release consisting of two 10" records and deluxe packaging.

Quote:
Lol at "PJ Harvey, the greatest female rocker of all time..." I dig her for sure.. this is just the first time I've read/heard anything like this about her. But I can understand why you'd dig her that much.
The fact that you haven't encountered that description of PJ Harvey previously is evidence of how severely undervalued she has been. By "rocker," I mean rocker -- not mere pop singer, soul/r&b diva, or glamorous frontwoman. There have been very few women in rock history who bring to the table everything that PJ Harvey does: produces great music, writes her own songs, plays cool guitar, leads the band, sings impressively, and rocks ferociously. The only close competition in the form of a single woman (rather than a duo or group), IMO, is Chrissie Hynde. Unfortunately for my taste, PJ has become a bit too much of a gothic aesthete in the last five years, but most great rockers eventually cool off.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote