Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Awkward Dimensions - Poor Luck
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Michael_A

Default Do not give up hope!

Hi,

I m 6'6" and 165 lbs so I have even more challenges than you do but do not give up hope! #1 most important tip is to locate a TAILOR near you. This sounds strange but will change your relationship to clothing. #2: Find a coat, no matter how big, that is long enough in the sleeves. The tailor can take a wedge out of the back and make it fit your trunk. This will make it fit exactly like you want, and is easy to do. It is impossible to tell that my coat was surgically altered and it feels great to have something that fits. Cost me $20. #3: Pants. Three solutions here. Find something long enough, and have tailor take in the waist so they fit. Or, what I did: got some excellent Burton pants; went to Seattle Fabrics (online) and found nylon of the same color; had tailor extend the pants 5" and now they fit perfectly. (I have 36" inseam and 32" waist, my pants fit normally and go the the bottom of my boots which is just right.) Third option is to get two pairs of pants that fit in the waist and have tailor chop the legs off one to extend the other. Sounds crazy but it works. Fourth, the board. 26cm waist which passes for "wide" simply is not good. Look at any decent park guy and their boards are about as wide as their boots. I have size 13 boots and don't get boot-out on my wide board but I still feel uncomfortable laying out on edge; and also I would like the increased stability on boxes/rails, etc. I plan on getting a Donek Phoenix ... owner their will make a wider board (28cm) for me for very little extra.

You may be saying these are expensive solutions; but bottom line is if you keep buying things that don't fit and are unhappy, then buy something new, you will spend a lot more in the long run.

Bottom line, don't get down on your height and don't settle for less than you need to!

Michael
Michael_A is offline   Reply With Quote