Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Amazing! But is it the rocker or Never Summer?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
MARider

Default Amazing! But is it the rocker or Never Summer?

First let me thanks forks on this forum for pointing me towards this board in the first place. I was in need of a new board and based on comments here, I went with a 161 NS SL. I have been snowboarding since 7th grade (20+ years), almost entirely freerideish/mountain (no park, no pipe). I needed to upgrade my 2004 Rome Anthem, which I have NEVER enjoyed riding (I just stuck with it over the years, trying to get it to be good for me)

I gave up recently and was looking at all of the ususal suspects for a guy like me (all stiff, cambered, big mountain boards) when I started hearing about the NS SL, and how even though it was rockered, and not a big mountain board, that it actually rode all mountain well, and that it could even hold up at high speeds on hard pack.

I pulled the trigger on a 161 and it arrived yesterday. I went last night and the conditions were not great--loose granular and ice. Right away I could feel how different the board felt from every other board I have ridden. Initiaing turns was beyond effortless. I was intantly able to get the board to do whatever I wanted. Compared to the way I had to fight and push my Anthem to do the same just made me sorry I stuck with it for so long.

So slow speed turning was obviously awesome, but what about high speed, steeper, icy condition? No problem. It took a few runs for me to find how far I could push the board and the answer was--very, very far. I was going faster, more confidently, than I have ridden in all my 20+ years. I was bombing down the runs. And just as importantly, I was doing things along the way, even at high speed, that I do not normally do even at slower (safer) speeds. Just fooling around stuff, cutting turns, hitting small things, goofy fun stuff, but all very comfortably. All I can say is this board made me have more fun in one night, at an average small local hill, on crappy snow, than I have had in the past in near perfect conditions at much bigger mountains.

So my question after all of this is...is it the rocker technology in general or is it specifically the Never Summer SL itself? Are other rocker and rocker/camber boards like this? I can't believe how different and incredible this board felt. I almost want to write a letter of thanks to the folks at Never Summer.
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote