Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Back knee hurting during compressed toe-side carves?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MistahTaki 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I learned the basics of carving (based on posts here and on other websites) but knew I wasn't going fast enough or tight enough, and knew I wasn't getting my body compressed enough. Yesterday I had my carving epiphany where I was going faster, tighter, and super compressed into the board, cutting real deep lines I could easily pick out from the lift. On my toeside carves my back knee was practically scraping the snow I was so low, I had to push it forward even more to keep it clear... and I could easily rest my entire back forearm on the snow. And going ever so slightly airborne while unloading and changing edges... what a cool feeling... happened instinctively, despite having read about it before.

So obviously stoked about the carving. Here's the problem. I did hard back to back carves down a mellow slope for about two hours just trying to perfect it, until my back knee started hurting pretty bad, but only during the toe-side carves. I think it has something to do with driving it forward and also putting a torque on it trying to flex/turn the board tighter, and crouching super low. I could still do okay carves standing up straighter (on smoother runs) with no knee pain... but of course it's more fun to get real low.

Any ideas, anybody else experience this and have any tips on minimizing it? Thanks!

EDIT: One thing I thought of, my back foot is at zero degrees and I'll bet if I angled it forward some that might help a bit... at the cost of what little switch ability I have.

See less See more
#7 ·
You got muscles around your knees broski, muslces that arent used to all the pressures of hard carving and ish. So yea i think muscles, run on a tremill for a few hours a day, i do like 3 hours a day 1 in morning 1 afternoon 1night. Works wonders on leg muscles

#9 · (Edited)
I kitesurfed about 60 days this summer, for those that haven't done it, the work on your back quad/leg is about comparable to riding deep powder with no setback. So whatever "knee muscles" exist... mine should be up to this. :cheeky4: Also, the difference between muscle pain (burn) and joint pain (ache) is pretty obvious...

The pain in my knee was definitely joint, not muscle. Haven't had a chance to try out any of the suggestions due to killer winds breaking Mt Rose ops for 2 days... :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.