Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - fear while jumping and getting speed
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nefarious
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
It's just practice? is there any hint/suggestion you might share? should I forgo my instinct to stop as soon as I land?
thanks a lot in advance

You're right on track. You don't want to speed check too quickly after stomping. Makes sure to ride 10-20 feet (if you've got it) and get your legs back under you before you react. It's not a bad idea to hold a minor edge, either. Nothing too deep, but a little will help ensure you're tracking correctly.

One way to practice this would be to find a natural step down of some degree. Doesn't need to be huge, just a small drop where you can ride/ollie off. Practice hitting it and engaging a sidewall within the first couple feet of landing. This doesn't mean to turn, just to make sure you're not completely flat. You already mentioned that you do this, so keep at it.

Also of note, being able to conquer the fear is just as important as muscle memory at high speed. If you're not comfortable yet, give it more time. Even the most veteran riders can get wrapped around a tree. Take your time and ride safe.