Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#680 ·
Ther were at least 4 different ones to jib. Two of them where hard ones with an upward slant though. I couldn't make it on those, but the Forum guys killed it! One was skinny and straight, but there was a good drop off at the end. 5' or so. The other hard one was a little thicker, but really wavy and a big tree to the right. So little room for error on that one.

The other two were smooth and long (that's what she said). The one in the pic was cool. A little sketchy because of the big crack towards the end of it, but it collapses within itself so it's self supporting lol. Crystal is so effin fun. Best mountain I've been to around here. I've been to Schuss, Boyne, Nubs and of course all the local spots.

#683 ·
sabatoa too bad we didn't get a chance to meet up today! we probably passed each other on the chairlift a few times :D

FYI anyone considering going to holly tomorrow, you might want to change your plans unless you're going primarily for the beer & the pond-skim. Most of the terrain including the parks is unrideable, and it is the dirtiest, slowest, mashed potatoes snow that I've ever ridden. If it doesn't freeze overnight it will be as bad or worse tomorrow.

#689 ·
hah, i thought you'd like my ugly face on ur cam dave! too bad i totally tripped after i did that! leo, yea the board was frikken great! the first run was sick but it slowed right down with the conditions. like dave said, it was like mashed potatoes out there. i really liked the NS tho. i would def consider it for a future board. graphics are ill too btw. thanks for lettin us try it out! the bottom got a little dirty from the snow but it shud come off.

#690 ·
sucks! holly says they're closed for the season unless a random snow storm pops up and pk says they may open next wknd weather permitting. not sure if holly just closed today or if they closed on sunday? i didn't check their website yesterday so i'm not sure if their sunday session went off? either way looks like we're goin up north here on out! the season has come to an end down here.

#691 ·
Alpine is officially closed too.

No word yet on Brighton.

With Alpine & Holly closed, and rain in the forecast for much of this week, I'm kinda surprised that PK won't be open tonight & tomorrow night before the weather gets really shitty.

SHould I gamble on this weekend and postpone my trip to Crystal Mountain until next week, hoping that PK will re-open?

#695 ·
I wish that I could reply to these on your site but my work PC is shite.

Why Isn’t Your Ski Resort Thriving?

I think Caberfae does it at least semi-right. They promo on their FB page weekly, complete with pics of the slopes. They beckon us to come up north and they highlight $9 deals when they have them.

C'mon the rest of you guys, step up! We *want* to be out there, we just need to know where we can go.

#696 ·
I wish that I could reply to these on your site but my work PC is shite.

Why Isn’t Your Ski Resort Thriving?

I think Caberfae does it at least semi-right. They promo on their FB page weekly, complete with pics of the slopes. They beckon us to come up north and they highlight $9 deals when they have them.

C'mon the rest of you guys, step up! We *want* to be out there, we just need to know where we can go.
A lot of the resorts do some things right, Caberfae is one of them (despite some of their facilities being a little ...er...ummm... "dated") that does a good job promoting itself and bringing people out to the slopes, they do a great job competing on price with the much larger and technically "nicer" full-service resorts in their neck of the woods.

#703 ·
You came to the wrong place for cool people. what you see is what you get!

but seriously... yeah welcome to the forum we will make another thread for "Michigan" sometime before next winter starts but until then a few of us I'm sure will be posting here a little bit more.

Where have you done most of your riding so far?

#704 ·
Marquette's looking pretty dead. I talked to a guy today who said the snow was stickier than all get out, and it's supposed to stay warm all week. Plus, the skate/snow shop is getting ready for summer...so they're holding out for warmer stuff.

*shrug*
We do have one more blizzard coming, I just don't know when
:dunno:

#705 ·
yea idk dude i think we might of had you beat on the "sticky" scale last week at holly. after yesterdays weather, i think everyone is in spring mode. slowly shifting to the "what do you do for fun in the summer" thread. heading up to boyne tomorrow for the spring fest. although after last night, i dont really even want to think about drinking again.

#716 ·
the tough part is coordinating people's schedules along with the weather we can't go too early in the season or there wn't be enough snow, we can't go too late or the resorts might be closed, we can't go in February because it always thaws, we can't do new year's weekend because it always rains, etc. :D

I am all for trying to organize something next winter we may even be able to get a "group" rate or discount on lodging or lift tickets, etc.

I would recommend Crystal Mountain (affordable lodging in Cadillac about 25 mins away) or Boyne Mountain (affordable options in Gaylord 15 minutes away).

#731 ·
I'll make sure to only wear my Affliction hat then.

Seriously, I hate people that wear that crap unless they are a fighter (actually have met quite a few Mi mma fighters).

UFC is the only sport I watch. I'm not above going out for other games though so long as there's food and alcohol :)

#726 ·
One word for my wknd at Boyne: Insane. Frikken party for sure! Needless to say i didn't get a whole lot of boarding in! $57 lift ticket on saturday and I probably did 6 runs, hah. I kinda figured thats what my day was going to be like so i wasnt that mad about it. The party is at mid mountain so you basically pay a $57 cover charge to get up! What was great, was watching everyone ski and ride back down to base once they kicked everyone out. I've never seen so many missles (snowboards without anyone on them) in my life! So yesterday I was determined to get some runs in since I didnt get any in on saturday. Honestly, their snow was really good. Awesum conditions for this time of year. There's a terrain park on the back side of the mountain with a bunch of box, rail and pipe features. This ends at a transition and you can cut across the run to the next one that had two 1' boxes and a flat down flat 4" rail which i was hitting pretty decent. At the bottom of this park was a cool SBX course. pretty legit fer sure! Good news-liftees were saying they're anticipating being open until mid april. I'll def be going back up in the next 2-3 weeks for a spring session! If anyone here wants to go lemme kno.

The worst thing about my wknd was that I had to rent a board both days. It was my own fault because I waited until I got up north to fix my bindings. The hardware I got didn’t end up fitting and my Ride bindings wouldn’t mount with my Union rings. That sucks! Boyne didn’t have any hardware to help me out so I was fukkd. So, I had the pleasure of riding a Burton Cruzzer. Yea, it cruised and that was about it. This thing was a frikken tank. Absolutetly no flex or torsion! Although I did get some more credit than normal in the terrain park with a rental board, hah!