Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Turning by applying equal pressure from both feet?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Essentially this is good technique for skidded turns. You are using the torsional flex of the board to initiate and control the turn. By countering with the back foot, I assume you simply mean holding some of that uphill edge pressure until the board points down the fall line? If so, then yes, this is also a good technique. It allows the board to pivot down the hill while keeping the tail "locked" into the hill with the uphill edge. Be careful though not to overdo this as it will slow turn establishment and thus cause unwanted acceleration in the turn entry and control phase. In short, get that back foot doing what the front foot is doing fairly soon.

Now for carving, we do not use torsional flex; we use tilt and that allows our side cut to initiate, control and complete the turn. This is done by using both feet simultaneously. In carving, both feet should be moving together, doing the same movement at the same time....
Yeah that's exactly it. Although I must admit when I went on holiday in Jan I hadn't undertood it properly and was just holding that counter thing and was continually sliding and not wiping enough speed off. Was wondering why my edges werent digging in enough. Then I read after the holiday you shouldn't hold that counter thing for long only initially.

On a steep would you attempt to carve with that technique? I remember an instructor telling me you had to have the right slopes and conditions to properly carve.

Also is it possible to do a dynamic skidded turn without torsional flex?

Last edited by Jakey; 03-24-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote