Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

freeride board for me?

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  pailhead 
#1 ·
Well, besides something softer than a TRS, i'm looking at some deals for a freeride specific board. Don't want something high end but i want to be aware if i come across something at a huge discount. I'd rather destroy that in the rocky alps, while having better float.

I saw a k2 gyrator in the store for about 330euro, it seemed interesting, and i can almost find if for $300 (thats like 220eur) online.

Could use some help with the sizes, or maybe some other names.

I'd access the terrain by chairlift or hikes.

#4 ·
I've ridden a 160w Raygun once on a soft snow day with some powder still in the trees.

I liked it in the soft stuff, but wasn't a big fan on the chopped up groomer. Although, after I got accustomed to the flatline rocker, carving started to feel better. It's not a real stiff board, but i enjoyed it and I like stiff boards. Good board for the price for sure....espcially at $210!

I'm 6'4'' 200lbs and felt like it was plenty of board for the soft stuff.

#8 ·
Ahhh....okay. If you are lookiing for a mostly powder board, you probably want something bigger than the 160 Raygun.

If this will be strictly a powder board, the 168 gyrator would probably be best. If you want it for powder and other freeride stuff, the 164 should be fine as well. Although, double check the waist width on the 164 just to make sure your 11.5 boots will work. If it's around 260mm you're probably fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.