Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Helmet Nazi's and so it begins
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #63 (permalink)
Music Moves
Veteran Member

Please don't get worked up because I'm here... just playing the "rights of the parent" side. Is it ok for Chicago to decide what a kid eats in school?

Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight - Yahoo! News

"Nutrition wise, it is better for the children to eat at the school," principal Elsa Carmona¬ told the paper of the years-old policy. "It's about ... the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom). It's milk versus a Coke."

I think we all agree that the health of minors should be maintained, but where is the line drawn? I understand and fully support approaches to having healthier children, but to revoke the rights of a parent to decide for him/herself is VERY questionable unless that parent has been deemed unfit to make decisions regarding the child's health and safety.

The law will no doubt help many kids along the way... it's just that I see this school lunch situation and now the helmet law and can't help but think, "where does it stop?"
Music Moves is offline   Reply With Quote