Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Helmet Nazi's and so it begins
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #81 (permalink)
East告de
Veteran Member

@Music Moves - sorry, I must have missed that comment about the helmet law.

What I want to know is this: The argument seems to have changed from "they're infringing on our rights, when will this ever end?!?!?wtfwtf" to "it's not about the law, it's about the wasted money and resources" because cooler minds have prevailed in reasoning that overall, while this law somewhat infringes on people's rights, it is inarguably for the greater good. My question is : how much money and resources are really being used to enact a law like this? It's not as if they need to supply every potential snowboarded with a helmet. It would seem to me that it wouldn't require more than a memo to resorts, some signs posted up, and maybe some other small details - which, ironically, would probably be paid for pretty quickly if there was some sort of ticket or something for NOT wearing a helmet.
I agree, parents should be left to raise their children however they see fit, but if a parent doesn't insist on their kid wearing a helmet, and that kid gets hurt, it's no longer just a burden on the parent - it may become a legal issue for the resort,a massive payout by an insurance company, perhaps erroneous other lawsuits on equipment manufacturers,etc.
What it would cost enact this law is probably less than what the cost would be to do two operations to alleviate brain swelling and bleeding in a head trauma patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Totally legit point. I think the answer is much simpler than government intervention. Let the resorts handle it with policies. If a resort does not have a mandate, then just like anything else, it is up to the parent to be a good parent and control their kids. Most parents don`t want their kids smoking pot or drinking and in all states it is illegal. That does not stop kids from smoking pot or drinking. Helmet laws will not really solve the concerns you raise in my opinion.
Yes, but I would think that that goes on in 2 situations:
a. the children are unsupervised, which would not be the case on a resort mountain or
b. the parents are negligent and irresponsible, in which case the parents may ignore the helmet law, but it won't change the fact that their kid can't right at a resort regardless of what the parents think.

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX

Last edited by East告de; 04-27-2011 at 08:29 AM.
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote