Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Helmet Nazi's and so it begins
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #82 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Totally legit point. I think the answer is much simpler than government intervention. Let the resorts handle it with policies. If a resort does not have a mandate, then just like anything else, it is up to the parent to be a good parent and control their kids. Most parents don`t want their kids smoking pot or drinking and in all states it is illegal. That does not stop kids from smoking pot or drinking. Helmet laws will not really solve the concerns you raise in my opinion.
Yea, nothing ever will completely resolve issues like these. However, it's just nice to have the rules there. You know, my son enjoys snowboarding so much that he's unwilling to get his pass revoked for something stupid like not wearing a helmet.

Doesn't mean that will be the case 100% of the time, but it certainly gets you closer to it. Plus now it also doubles as doing two things wrong aside from the danger aspects:

1) Not wearing a helmet when I want him to

2) Breaking the rules which I'm certainly going to teach him against doing

I do feel I will have more control over the drinking and pot issue. This is mainly because I was that kid. Really bad into it actually so I'm very in tune with the signs. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there that do not even know what pot smells like. A friend of mine from Vegas planted some pot in his yard. His parents and grandma used to water it with the rest of the garden. They had no clue.

I'm not saying I'm going to be able to prevent it from EVER happening, but I feel more educated towards the matter in order to help me prevent it. I think that's the major issue when it comes to parenting... lack of education. You don't have to be an ex druggie to get educated on it especially in this day and age. The Internet is full of resources. It's up to the parent to spend some time learning about this stuff. There's no excuse for not knowing what a marijuana plants or drug paraphernalia looks like.

But yea, I don't want a helmet law for skiing/snowboarding. I want resort policies for children. Adults can think for themselves. Revoke the pass if the kid isn't wearing a helmet. Give parents ability to decline that rule for their children. It could be stated on their lift ticket or season pass. Simple solution that doesn't involve the law or police. It only makes use of the ski patrol that's already there.

Maybe this means the parents have to buy the ticket for the minors. So be it. If they can't buy their own ticket for an R-rated movie, then why should they be allowed to buy a ticket for a relatively dangerous sport?

Last edited by Leo; 04-27-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote