Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Helmet Nazi's and so it begins
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #94 (permalink)
BurtonAvenger
Veteran Member

Will no one think of the children? This seems to be the rally cry of people that want to bubble wrap the youth of tomorrow. Seriously the youth of tomorrow are the scariest sacks of shit I've ever had to deal with, but that's another story.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not against helmet use for kids or adults. I'm advocating that it's a choice and if the state wants to make it a law it's a waste of time and money. Now if the resort wants to make it a policy go for it that's fine. I live in Breck best park in the world hands down (anyone can try and argue that with me but it's fact) we have jumps ranging from 3 feet to almost 100. Do you need a special pass? Helmet? or training? Nope you just need a lift ticket and you can go in the park and that's that. Do people get broken in the park every year because of this? Yes, could some of it be prevented? Definitely. But at the end of the day its the persons choice to venture into Freeway and Parklane it is there choice to hit the jumps and jibs.

Now are kids a lot stupider than adults? Well some are but helmet use is a lot different than it was when I was 16. Back then I had a helmet I knew what it would do and I charged harder and got more concussions then than I do now without one yet I'm actually hitting bigger features now. My parents when I was that age never saw me hit a jump or ride the pipe, they never forced me to wear a helmet, I just decided it was a good thing to have. Some of my friends followed suit some didn't we all survived, granted a bunch of us got concussions.

Moral of the story people will get hurt, people will die, people will get maimed, but let it be their or their families decision not the governments. Just like if I wanted to go fly down mainstreet on a crotch rocker in Breck I can do it with or without a helmet in this state because it's my choice. Is my life in my hands and ability? Hell yeah and that's what it should come down to.