Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Helmet Nazi's and so it begins
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #151 (permalink)
Donutz
Drunk with power...er beer.

For those who compare ski helmet laws to seat belt laws (which includes me, btw ), let's remember that driving a car is not a right. It's a licensed privilege, and the gov't can set any kind of requirements for the granting of that license. Skiing or snowboarding (or riding a bike) are not licensed activities and therefore fall under the category of personal freedoms. Notwithstanding demurrals by denialists, seat belt laws and motorcycle helmet laws do reduce injuries and deaths overall, and quite significantly, so a case can be made that your 'personal choice' is costing other people money for an activity that the government is legitimately mandated to oversee for the good of the general public. No such mandate exists for things like skiing, snowboarding, or walking down the street.

I do believe that ski helmets reduce injury overall (I wear one and I will continue to do so), but I have a problem with passing laws to shove your own neuroses down someone else's throat. Let's be clear on this -- the question of whether helmets help and the question of whether they should be mandated are two separate issues.

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote