Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Union Forces?
Thread: Union Forces?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thad Osprey

Union Forces are a love/hate binding as you have probably figured out by now. Some say its not worth the money, some say its their "go to" binding. Another difficulty is that this Forum has "mood swings" depending on what appears to be the "in" product. There are also people who are more vocal on this forum pushing their thoughts on their personal likes and dislikes and whether or not they receive gear or work in some capacity that may/may not make them partial to a certain company etc...

Heres my 0.5 cents:

a) Union Toe Strap could use improvement though I dont have issues
b) Ratchets are ok despite the criticism (I find Ride and K2 ratchets to be far worse and have had failures with them and none on the Unions surprisingly)
c) Forces are light enough, not the lightest, but theres plenty heavier out there. Fluxes, being one of them. And for all that weight Fluxes have, they have rather poor dampening.
d) Union Bindings are for the most very durable(except the silly "BB Wheel" inspired Contact Pro highback where one of the skinny spokes broke on me). And the baseplate does crack despite being touted as "STRONGER". But the incidence of wear and tear is alot less than many other bindings.
e) The middle-of-the road stiffness gives you versatility
f) Dampening is pretty commendable
g) If you are a really indecisive person Forces could be a good choice

Ultimately its going to be a personal choice cos the thoughts/reviews out there are pretty split (except for the toe strap bit which no one sings praises of). But I like everything else about the Forces. And ride it most of the time.
Thad Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote