Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What size Skate Banana?

23K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  syphabiscuit 
#1 ·
I'm going to buy a Lib-tech skate banana, but I'm having some trouble on figuring out what size to get.

I'm 5'6 and weigh 165lb. I'm not planning on using this board as a dedicated freestyle board, so I don't want to get it too short. What size would you recommend out of 152,154,or 156?

Any advice would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Go the 52 if your freestyle is going to be park driven (you could possibly look at the 49 if your solely using it for park). The 52/54 if its all mountain freestyle, up to you really. I have a 53 alt camber and am roughly the same height/weight as you, for all mountain and it suits well.

#7 ·
I heard with the Skate Banana you want to size down ?
Yeah, i have heard this mentioned a fair bit with the banana, i think it refers to when the first started making them and the whole reverse camber thing got re-born. The reverse camber floats better in pow, so, you can minimize your size. Case in point, on a traditional camber board I ride a 159...or im snorkling and doing a tomahawk down the mountain.

I ride a 53 Never Summer SL and it floats way better than the 59 does with my weight on it.

#6 ·
I'm 6 foot and 185 lbs and I sport a 159 SB
I ride every where kinda equal amounts. I bought the recommended size and I have been very happy with this board. If I rode more park and was better I might have gone one size smaller.
Not sure if this helps but that was my report on my board.

-Slyder

#14 ·
what is retarded is that you are saying that a shorter magnetraction board rides like a longer board with no magnetraction - because of the magnetraction technology. that sounds like you never got to experience much riding - otherwise you wouldn't regurgitate some retarded sounding irrelevant crap that was written by a manufacturer's marketing department...

oh and if you want to talk about education :) - i will put money on it that my education kicks the living shit out of your education and then pulls its pants down and takes a massive steaming shit on it while it is lying there all broken on the pavement.

#15 ·
Thank you for all of the replies and advice everybody :). And his theory does seem to make some sense to me. It's the same concept that a hypotenuse of a triangle is longer than the base. Sort of similar, difference is that magnetraction is squiggly.

And how is saying that increased running surface will, in theory provide more stability, irrelevant?

I'm new to snowboarding, so I don't know too much about the whole mechanics behind everything. I'm just saying that to me, his theory does seem to make some sense.

#16 ·
Ok, regardless of whether mangetraction makes shit longer or not, here is what you need to know.

The 154 is going to be marginally more stable at high speed than the 152. Will you be able to tell the difference? Probably not, and its probably not measureable.

Go the 152 or the 154. Just pick one and say "fuck it, i'll get that one". Were talking the difference of 2 cms here.

#19 · (Edited)
How is that "retarded"? Can u not grasp the concept that is being conveyed? Cause your post sounds kinda hostile, like you are mad that you never got to experience simple geometry or physics in highschool...
You had how magnetraction works entirely wrong. Think steak knife, not longer blade. (the difference in edge length also wouldn't have been 5-10cm, considering how hard magne is to notice.) The different points create rougher contact into ice, biting deeper/better.

#21 ·
Hey, I'm 5'11" and 180 roughly. I got the 156 and you would have to get doctors to surgically remove me from this board! It takes NO effort to turn, so I personally say go longer so you have more versatility outside the park. I was riding mine on POW and I felt is was a little short for that - then again - as a freestyle/park board it performed brilliantly!!!!! I think 154 or 156! Don't get short for park cause it can do so much more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.