Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

torn between boards

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ttchad 
#1 ·
Last November we went out to Breck for vacation. Probably the coolest town I have ever been to. During that time I tried 2 boards that I was very happy with.
The Neversummer heritage & a Burton. I only rented the Burton because I wanted to try a Camber board back to back with the RC and I have never carved so well in my life. I also had to get used to the RC but loved it. This was my first time on anything other than old camber.
Now the burton Custom X with the EST was bad ass also. I really like being able to move my binding without loosing screws, sliding pack for pow and forward again for the groomers. Targas are always a bitch to move. Anybody else surprised at how well the Burton EST handles? Now as for the NS. I am buying one but cannot decide which one. Heritage, Raptor or SL. I will never be in the park and spend most of my time on the groomers. Should I try the Flow bindings or stick with the Trusty Rome Targa's. I always have a tendency to crush my feet by overtightening the straps. It would be cool to just slip in after it is set up. But how are the flow bindings on drag lifts? I usually just put my foot in the binding unstrapped.

#2 ·
Get the Heritage. EST is dumb and if your screws come a little loose and you pop off anything, your bindings are going awol upon landing. I like my knees un-blown.

I really like Flows. They're fine on Tbars and ropes, just do what normal people do and put your foot just inside the binding on your board.

#4 ·
I have both a custom x and raptor and altough I prefer camber as my dialy driver the raptor is a good choice as an aggressive all mountain board. It's much more versatile than the description would lead you to believe. If you like groomers and carving and want a hybrid rocker board, then the raptor is probably your best choice. It's right there with many of the stiffer freeride boards I've had over the years. If you're doing more jumps then the heritage might be a good choice, although the raptor is a very good jumper.

That said I really like my custom x and the ICS setup with my co2 re-flex bindings. Probably the best combination of response, feel, and comfort I've tried in many years of riding. I've never had any problem with the screws coming loose but if you like the targas or flows then you might want to stick with the 4 hole pattern.

#5 ·
I have both a custom x and raptor and altough I prefer camber as my dialy driver the raptor is a good choice as an aggressive all mountain board. It's much more versatile than the description would lead you to believe. If you like groomers and carving and want a hybrid rocker board, then the raptor is probably your best choice.
I need to learn how to ride switch because I feel Like it is holding me back. I no longer catch edges and can carry a fair amount of speed on the blue or green runs. Once I get on the red runs I worry about my edges and start smearing my turns. Will I be able to ride switch on the Raptor or will it be to weird? I wish I could demo both models back to back. If I only lived in Colorado!

#6 ·
Altough the raptor can be ridden switch it may not be your best choice. It tends to want to revert around. It's not uncomfortable or something you really have to fight but like most directional boards noticeably different riding than regular. If you're looking to ride switch more then the heratige or sl might be a better choice. You'll give up some carving/charging ability though, so you'll have to make a choice on what kind of riding you like to do most.

#8 ·
Well I am mostly looking for twinish board that is exceptional at carving and will handle 11.5 boots. I weigh 170lbs and currently have an old Phoenix Lib tech that does not have the C2BTX and old Rome MOD. Both are plenty stiff for me. I spend 80% or more time on groomers & not by choice. They are getting tough on people here because of the number of avalanches and have been arresting folks. The MOD handles great but is far from a carver and the Lib Tech has washed out on me too many times. That was why I checked out NS. I liked the Heritage & rented a 159 while in CO. I just figured it would be too much like my Lib Tech and wanted to check out the raptor. Now I am worried that Never Summer will sell out faster than last year and am afraid to make the wrong choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.