Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - You WILL be arrested for dancing in the Jefferson Memorial.
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mooz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
It doesn't matter what their "intention" is. What matters is if they violated some local ordinance or statute. There isn't a statute or ordinance against "dancing" but rather against disruption or organized protest, and it's not statute, it's precedent. I cannot cite the docket that is applicable because I haven't been able to find it.

The problem is that it doesn't appear their behavior is disruptive whatsoever. It isn't damaging the memorial or impeding people's ability to use the building. So what exactly should they be arrested for? The fact that they are choosing to excercise a right purely for its own sake is irrelevant. The entire thing is dubious at best.
Actually, as a DC resident I can tell you there is an ordinance against public performances at certain landmarks. Which is exactly what this group was doing (with the intention of forcing a confrontation with DC park PD so they could make a viral "mah rights been abused!" video).

They could have gotten permission in advance (east to do), stopped when they were told to, or stopped when the officer tried to tell them "hey it's just a citation but I can't cite you if you live xxx miles away. I have to arrest you. Please stop".