Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Punish all for the actions of a few..
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
CheeseForSteeze
With extra cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
couple of things:
1- I agree that it's a crappy idea.
2- I like "abhorrable". Is that a combi of abhorrent and deplorable?
3- Can't agree on the simile. Public officials and government bodies have far more restrictions on them than individuals. Try passing an ordinance requiring people to say grace before eating in a public place, then stand back! Don't know how things run in the US on this subject, but in Canada this kind of law would be challenged on a Human Rights basis -- and successfully, I'm pretty sure.
It's analgous in the fact that local ordinance is not bound by The Constitutional restrains associated with Federal Government, unless the restrains specifically address The States as well. It is the right of a community to legislate morality in the sense that The Constitution (through the Ninth and Tenth amendments, and through the concept that it is a docuemnt of positive rights applicable to The Federal Government) affords The States rights such that they are limited by The Constitution rather than empowered.

In this vein, public officials and governemnt bodies (of The States) have the same rights as the individual. The Constitution specifically says they do.