Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Man Drowns as Police and Firefighters Watch
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
dtshakuras

Yeah I've read about this elsewhere. First this dude wanted to kill himself so he is a danger to himself and others who get close. Second, he was in shoulder deep water. Any struggle could very possible result in any rescuers getting pulled down. Third, I think its kind of unfair to blame the officials. They didn't cut their own budget. They got to work with what they have.

Before the guy died, no spectators volunteered to help him because in my opinion, one of the main reason is the shoulder deep water and the person was suicidal.

We live in a country where lawsuits are common and sometimes I feel people like the officials are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Lets say they decided to violate policy and try to rescue the dude. And what if they failed (which was possible cause they didn't have the training). They'd probably get sued for botching a rescue attempt due to inadequate training and face the prospect of getting fired.

I'm more people would be outraged had this been a person died because they ended up in the water unintentionally and wanted to be saved. And if that was the scenario, I'd be willing to bet at least some of the firefighters would have gone in to rescue the person.