Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Took a 15 year hiatus from snowboarding, what to expect now?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Someoldguy

Default Took a 15 year hiatus from snowboarding, what to expect now?

Hoping for opinions or advice from anyone, especially older riders in their late 30s (I am now 40). Moving back to Colorado this summer and will be getting a "CO mountain pass" or whatever it's called now and a new set of gear after 15 years of not even seeing the snow.

I probably have delusions of grandeur, and won't be able to run through the parks competently like I was able to 15 years ago. In my mind I can still visualize most all the tricks I had dialed, but I fear I am going to be in for a rude awakening. This sport has progressed so much and changed since I devoted my life to riding from 1988 - 1996. I know it's all about having a good time, but what I remembered enjoying most was learning to jump "big" with style, which I am unsure if I am capable of doing this again at my age and condition. I am 6'2", 205lbs now vs 40lbs lighter when I "retired" from riding.

Most important I'd imagine is some kind of conditioning throughout the summer, physically I am not the same when I moved away from Summit County back in 1996, so I'm doing what I can to drop a few pounds. Currently spending about 45 minutes a day on a balance board, and some light cardio. This seems to really work a lot of the same muscles I remember being sore from riding and is a lot more fun that weight training/running/biking for me.

Anyone out there with a similar experience to mine - moved away from mountains, sold all your gear, then come back later in life to be near the mountains and snowboarding a couple days a week? I know just cruising around freeriding is like riding a bike and you never forget that. It's jumping with style, doing a simple "grasser" (this term still ever used?). The gear seems to have gotten much better, hoping that might make the transition back to riding a few days a week a little easier.

Any advice, suggestions or shared similar experiences are much appreciated.
Someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote