Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Moving to Colorado

6K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  Tarzanman 
#1 ·
Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here. I might have the opportunity to move out to Colorado, and have three locations to choose from. Either would be around Fort Collins,Denver, or Colorado Springs. Currently living in South Jersey, country area, so not too keen on cities. However, anything is better than New Jersey, so I'm looking which would be the best place to live out there. Denver seems to be the best option, since it's right in the middle and closest to most mountains from what I can see. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
If we're talking about just the towns, I'd take FC over Denver or CS. FC is just a really cool town. The main issue though is mountain access - specifically to the ski resorts. You're not close to any slopes there. Eldorado would be your closest but it isn't the greatest.

Denver is too big. There are some nice areas near Denver though.

CS sucks. I'd seriously consider moving back east myself if CS was my only option in CO.

#5 ·
Where in Denver exactly? Do you know? You can have very easy to the mountains from the western suburbs or you could do like me and move up the hill into the foothills. I'm at about 8k feet, can be in downtown Denver in a shade over half an hour without traffic or on a lift at Loveland in the same.

#8 · (Edited)
Where you live in Denver should depend on where you are working. You'll spend more time commuting to work than going to the hill. The ride to the hill is about the same from just about everywhere in the Denver area. If you live on the eastside, it might cost you an extra 20 minutes. That is about it. If you know where the job is, I can easily recommend areas that are within the metro that are good spots to live. I've been here for over 20 years.

#9 ·
I'll be working at one of the 24hourfitness gyms, also a Chili's. There are quite a few, so exact one I have no idea. Maybe transferring to a school out there as well, haven't decided yet. Regardless, I hate the city.

Also thanks for that site, I've been reading it alot.

#10 ·
There seems to be a 24Hour Fitness on every corner here so that could be anywhere across Denver.

I live in Parker which is Southern Denver. I also have a young son and our community is big on families and small kids. If that bothers you, don't come to Parker. However, i love it since we are 20 minutes to downtown for a ballgame and just over an hour to Loveland and Summit County. I hate the city as well, so where we are is great.

However, if i was young again and was looking for more of that crowd....Ft. Collins is the way to go. It's not close to the slopes, but a great place to live year round.

Tell us what is important in where you want to live and several of us could most likely give some good ideas on where to consider living.

#11 ·
I'm only 22, so people around my age would be ideal (maybe around a college town?), but not necessary. Only sports games I would see, are when philly teams are in town, so that doesn't bother me too much. I don't need the club/shot bar scene, a nice pub and I'm good to go. Somewhere that I can have a dog around would be fantastic as well.

I have nothing against kids, but until I'm ready to settle down, would rather not live next door to a bunch. Lakes or parks close by would be great, that I could go trail running / mountain biking.

Right now, closest mountain to me is 2.5-3 hours away, and driving a dodge ram 1500, not exactly the best on gas. So, ideal would be somewhere in the middle I suppose, more towards the city I guess. Would like to get riding in every day during the winter, 1 day a week out here is....annoying.

#13 ·
+1 on Burton's advice.

I just spent a week up in Vail and i commented to my wife that if i was a single 20 something i would move my ass somewhere in Summit County and figure out how to stay there. Snowboard like hell in the winter and hike and mountain bike all summer.

that is exactely what i would do analog. especially since you are saying you have a year to do this, start figuring it out. even if you could only do it for a year, man it would be one kick ass year.

#14 ·
I've actually been thinking about that for a long time, doing it for at least one year. This was maybe more of a long term move. However, I think I'll take both of your advice, and look for spots right near the mountains and just drive an hour to work.

Vail is the only mountain I've been to in CO, so was thinking maybe Breck?

#15 ·
Good luck living in Breck and driving to the front range for work that's a HUGE pain in the ass especially if the county shuts down which happens about 10 times a winter. You work at a Chilli's for christ sake and a 24 Hour fitness like you can't find a gym and restaurant to work at up here? Seriously sack up you're 22 it won't get any easier with age.

#16 ·
Ya not a chance of working in or around Denver and living anywhere near Breck or Vail in the winter. Unless you have alot invested in Chili's and 24 Hr Fitness, i would be looking at other places to work if i was serious about moving up to the mountains. Hell, i might even look into some type of seasonal job in or around a resort.

If that is way more than you want to get into, Fort Collins is a good spot. But as mentioned before, it's not relatively close to boarding compared to other places.

But if i was 22 again without a wife and son, i'd be up in Summit County and figuring out how to make ends meet....atleast for 1 year anyhow.

#18 ·
I'd recommend going big and skipping the Summit County, Vail shit show. Move to Crested Butte, Aspen (high recommended), Steamboat, or Telluride. These are the destination resorts in the state and have much less crowds. With Aspen you have four mountains and of course more expenses. Still the Roaring Fork Valley also offers more business which equals more jobs.

Just a thought, everyone goes to Breck/Summit County. It's the most traveled snow zone in the United States. For carnies and vacationers in the ski world.

#23 ·
Pretty big sausage fest then? Eh, I'd rather spend my money on riding. Summit county looks promising in terms of location, Vail was expensive when I went there, and some of the locals said the same about Aspen. My first winter out there I might try out Aspen or Steamboat, but after than more towards Denver (at least an hour outside anyway).

#27 ·
I thought I'd throw my thoughts into the ring, as I just moved to Denver a few months ago.

I didn't get to do much riding (only went 3x out here, eventhough A-Basin is still open (or was until this weekend)) but I have a good group of buddies that have all been out here 1+ years and they got to ride 26-27 times this year, which I consider pretty damn good for all of them living in Denver.

Denver itself is a pretty decent city, I live in the uptown area and work right by Union Station.

Another thing to consider is where you want to ride... if you want to ride the Vail-owned resorts (Vail, Beaver Creek, A-basin, Keystone, and Breckenridge) you can get the Epic Local Pass (I think $480, gets you unlimited access to the last 3 resorts I listed, and 10 days at either/or Vail/BC) or the Epic Pass ($600 or so, unlimited at all 5 resorts).

Other resorts like Loveland you can only get a Loveland pass (eventhough its only like $300). Copper, Winter Park and Steamboat have a combo-deal of some sort I believe.

You get the point... the Vail owned resorts are probably going to more crowded than the others, but with the pass you can ride at any of the 5 resorts. I don't know the prices on the East Coast, but almost everywhere here in CO, it costs $100 or more a day (besides Loveland and some of the smaller resorts)... so the passes will pay for themselves very quickly.

One last thing to consider with everything I said about about living in Denver and driving to the mountains... traffic is terrible as "everyone" wants to go to the mountains on the weekend (especially in winter) so you have to deal with that as well.

Someone else will have to comment on how tough it is (or is not) to get a job in Summit County area. I would assume that quite a few bro's all have the same idea of working at so and so restaurant and riding every day or whatever.

With all of that said... I cannot fucking wait for winter to be back. I love the summer time, but only getting to go 3x this past season... I am just itching to get back riding again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.