Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Board lengths

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bobsy852 
#1 · (Edited)
'12 DC Ply or DC Tone?

Sorry if regular readers read this every day or so, but I'm struggling a bit with this one, so as a newbie I ask you please bare with me...

I'm looking for my first snowboard but waiting untill 2012 gear is released (in particular DC's range of boards) now I've been looking at the boards they're set to release and REALLY like the DC Ply Horgmo Pro board. Or the Bittner, but would prefer the Horgmo!

Now my concern is that this board will be too small for me at 150.5cm?

Now obviously you'll need some stats about me to be able to tell:

Height: 5ft 10in
Weight: 12.5 - 13 stone (roughly 79/80kg)
Boot size: 9

Riding experience:
Took up snowboarding in January this year, and had my first holiday in March where I feel my confidence and abilities improved a lot. Have since been going at least once a month to my local indoor snow dome in the UK, and am really really eager to start some freestyle, so will probably book a freestyle lesson in the months to come.

Now I'd like a board which can do some freetsyle, and will help me advance with this, but one which will also be pretty good for piste runs when I get away fro the few times a year I will!

And before anyone tells me to look at another brand, I'm sorry but everything I've bought so far is DC and I kinda plan on keeping it that way! lol

So would this board be too small for me? As 150.5cm comes to just about my neck height/collar area?
Would I be better suited with a Bittner at 156.5cm?
I'd love to try and test the boards but at this moment in time there aren't any DC stores in the UK, never mind in the snow domes! There is one set to open some time this year which I'm hoping to visit which may let me try them, I just hope it opens as planned!

For now though, any advice as to which would be better for me would help! And it'd be much appreciated!!
I'm really just trying to avoid anything which will stop me advancing with my experience, I'd obviously prefer a board which is going to help me progress!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Sorry it's probably another noob asking!

See less See more
#2 ·
The neck/chin thing is a sloppy guideline, at best. I'm 155lbs, 5'10" have a size 9 boot and ride a 147cm. With that being said, I'm a rail-rat. I hit a few jumps, but nothing crazy. I also like to bomb the hill a time or two, but my mountain has a total of something like 900 vertical feet. For what you'd like to do it'd seem the 150 would do. The 156.5 would seem long in MY opinion, but I'm (extremely) biased towards shorter boards. Do you know what length you were riding before?

#3 ·
i would like more at the 152-54 range if they have those sizes in the boards you want. you could def ride a 156 no problem but if you wanted to focus more on freestyle those sizes might be a little more suitable. do you plan on trying rails as well as bigger jumps or did you wanna just jib stuff and hit small jumps? also do you plan on doing any all mtn riding with this board or just snow domes?

#4 ·
They do but not in the same design! Haha I know that should be the last thing to care about though! But I can't help it!
I havent done any freestyle yet, just the odd spin on the flat in the domes, but I'm wanting to learn rails and boxes etc! So will be taking lessons on this, as well as small jumps! Don't plan on hitting any big jumps!
Most of the year the board will be used is snow domes, probably 2-3 weeks will be on mountains (We don't get much snow here in the UK! :dunno:) But when I am on a mountain I'll just want to try keep up with speed etc on the piste's. Probably not going to go looking for powder!

alaric said:
Do you know what length you were riding before?
This will be the first board I've bought! I've been using rental equipment untill now, and seem to have settled on 155 at the moment, but the rental stuff I get isn't flexible at all! And it does feel a tad longer. Although on my first holiday I was using about a 157! Was good for on the runs though!

#6 ·
Hi, sorry for borrowing your thred, but I'm in the exact same situation hehe
I also started riding in January this year, been standing on a snowboard for about 50 hours in total, been hiting some boxes, small jumps and big jumps but no rails or such yet...
I currently own a 2011 DC Tone 153 (The wife mostly uses this), a 2011 DC Devun Pro 154 and a 2011 Stepchild Street Recession(for my summer setup :p )

I'm currently looking for the 2012 Torstein Pro model (150.5) or the Aaron Biittner Pro model (156.5)
My stats are:
182cm tall (6ft)
75-77kg (165 - 170 pounds)
9,5 US in bootsize (I currently ride the DC 2011 Park Boot)

Will the torstein pro model (love the black/white/red colours..) be to short for me?
Going to concentrate on learning butters, boxes and rails and maybe some jumps this season =)

Thanks in advanced!
Jocke

#7 ·
I think the 150.5cm Horgmo Pro will be a proper park jibstick! Having done some research I don't think it'll help me progress very well.

SOOOOOOO....

I've narrowed it down instead to the "donuts & Coffee" 153cm Ply?

OR

The 156cm Aarron Biittner Pro Ply board?

Both the above have Structurn bases, Lock&Load camber, lighter, true twin tips, radius to flat tips,
and 6240 biax base!

OR

The other option I think is the Lauri Pro Tone board in either 153 OR 156cm?

This features: Anti camber board but with a camber core. Radius to flat again, structurn base again.

REALLY REALLY lost with this one, but swaying more towards the Ply series! Just not sure which would be better, a 153 or a 156?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.