Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - burton custom vs custom flying v
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot garbage View Post
why are thier so many burton fan boys these days? look at venture snowboards, top pow boards for sure but can hold their own in slush or ice. as long as ur not riding to much park venture is a good option
Uh... how long have you been snowboarding? There's absolutely nothing new about Burton having a ton of "fan boys".

With that said, something tells me you haven't even been on a Custom Flying-V. I'm thinking, you rode a Burton Clash from 2006.

@Keljai: If you have never been on a rocker board before, I do not recommend a Custom Flying-V at all. The rocker profile on it is going to feel super loose to you if you have only been on positive camber thus far. If you still want to stay within Burton, the Sherlock might be the better option. For some reason, the Custom's Flying-V has a more pronounced dip in the mid section. I personally really like this board, but I know it's not for everyone.

If you ride a lot of icey conditions, you might want to look at Lib Tech/GNU or Never Summer boards. Those companies have a lock-down on tech for cruddy conditions. Mervin (Lib/GNU) boards have Magnetraction which will give you the most bite on ice. Some say it has too much bite, but a simple edge tool will take care of that.

Never Summer has a more mellow tech called Vario Grip that works well. Not as grabby as Magnetraction.

Smokin snowboards also uses Magnetraction tech and I hear it is more mellow on their boards so that's worth a look as well.

I wouldn't listen to hot garbage... getting a pow board for non pow days is not a good idea. Yea, you can ride em on groomers and what-not, but why would you want to? Pow boards are usually stiff and damp. Not to mention directional. I'd just get a board with a mellow rocker or hybrid to give you all around performance. One board quiver type.

To answer your question about rocker on pow... you don't ever need it. It's just nice to have. Rockers help you float and reduce the leg burn that normally comes with pow riding on a positive camber board.