Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need help with board choice
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mudhoney

Default Need help with board choice

Hey all,

I've been riding a long time (since about '92), but only a few days per season. I'm looking to upgrade my gear and need some help. My current ride is a 2000 Burton Custom 160 with Custom bindings. I live in Australia and for those that don't know, our mountains aren't very high and snow is pretty marginal, ie often wet, and icy in the morning. When it snows the pow tends to be on the heavy side. I like to ride all-mountain. I think I would be described as "advanced" but by no means expert. I've been told I have a cruisy/laid-back carvy style. I don't do any park, but like to carve, and be able to jump, ride up natural walls, get off into the trees (tight turns in the steeps) and maybe throw the occasional flatland trick. I want to improve my carving on the steeps, especially my turn initiation.

So, looking at gear, it seems I now have to choose between a traditional positive cambered board and a rockered board. I've done a lot of reading of reviews of various boards and while I'm leaning towards something with a hybrid camber (eg. LibTech TRS C2BTX, Arbor Element RX, LibTech Attack Banana), I have some doubts about the negative camber thing. It comes down to this: at the level I'm at, would I be taking my learning backwards by picking up a rockered board, ie would I be "un-teaching" myself how to carve and initiate turns properly? Are the rockered boards really intended for intermediates and people wanting to ride pow or park (not me), and would I be better learning "proper" carving on a cambered board then taking that forward into trick territory?

In answering, any board/binding set-up recommendations are welcome. An instructor recommended an Arbor Element board, some stiff Rome bindings and 32 Lash boots (if they fit).

Any comments welcome.

Mud
Mudhoney is offline   Reply With Quote