Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board Protection From Bindings
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
CheeseForSteeze
With extra cheese.

Rome Targas I have shipped with some rubberized gasket, maybe 1/16" with a texture to it, cut into the shape of the footprint of the binding.

Use something like teflon (PTFE) or perhaps a Garlock style graphite gasket which can be procured in very thin sheets (1/32" for instance). Your mounting hardware needs to be able to reach the insert threads with this additonal thickness.

Just to mount the Targa with the OEM gasket, I had to mount it in two holes (choose an opposite, caddy-corner pair) without the washers to achieve compression on the gasket. I could then get thread engagement with the other two with the washers and I tightened those down snug tight. I then backed out the two without washers and was able to get therad engagement with washers.

Some common gasket manufacturers would be Garlock or Flexatallic. Both of these manufacture gaskets made of PTFE or graphite derivatives. Vegetable fiber or non-organic aramid fibers with nitrile binders would work too. These gaskets aren't being used to seal anything. Just get the one that is cheapest and in the thinnest sheet, preferably 1/32". Avoid sbr red rubber because it comes in thicker sheets and isn't compressible.

Last edited by CheeseForSteeze; 07-19-2011 at 12:18 PM.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote