Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Which is more important right now- a balanced budget, or low unemployment?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
gibbous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
only an idiot cuts government spending during an economic collapse.
John Boehner disagrees with you. Regarding the Cut, Cap, & Balance bill the house just passed- "It provides President Obama with the debt limit increase he's requested while making real spending cuts now and restraining future government spending and debt that are hurting job growth."

I've heard it argued that government debt is directly hurting the private job market, but nobody who has made the argument has ever bothered to explain why or how. Can anyone connect the dots on how all these born again budget hawks are supporting that claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
These people are holding America hostage while they fight for what THEY want.
Maybe it would be more accurate to say that we're being held hostage while they fight to make their corporate masters happy, which all politicians have to do to get re-elected. We are certainly hostages, but it's not like being a normal hostage. Our captors have us tied to chairs with paper bags over our heads while they scream their demands to negotiators, but at the same time they're also telling us how smart we are and that we all really agree with what they're doing. I don't know how many times I've heard somebody say that "The American people understand that the way to recovery isn't continued spending", or "The American people aren't fooled by the rhetoric from the other side of the aisle" but it makes me gag every time I hear it. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of Stockholm Syndrome jedi mind trick.

Last edited by gibbous; 07-20-2011 at 02:36 AM.