Originally Posted by MikefromOz
Just booked flights to canada to work a season on a ski field somewhere
. My girl's got her heart set on Big White but I can't seem to find many photos or videos of the place online.
I was wondering if anyone's rode/worked there before and what they think of it? Is the Telus park any good? Nightlife in the village?
Big White is good place to do a season, it depends though on what you’re looking for and your ability.
I spent a season there in 05 and had a blast.
- Heaps of tree runs and tree chutes
- Plenty of powder days and good quality snow with not too bad lineups mid week
- Most of mountain accommodation is ski in/out or very close two
- Good communal vibe among workers on the mountain
- Good park and Boarder X track
- Plenty of tree exploring inbounds to not get bored over the season
- Good compromise between beginners and advanced, both can enjoy it here
- Powder days towards the end of the season are generally empty with main runs keeping fresh lines into the arvo
- Nightlife on mountain was limited to 2-3 bars, you get to know it quite well, progresses into house parties as well
- Generally not the steepest of resorts
- No extensive alpine area/double black area (The cliff is very small and short)
- Limited backcountry or side country
- Nightlife on mountain was limited to 2-3 bars, gets very predictable and repetitive, generally stay away on weekends.
- Gets very busy on weekends (I guess like most resorts)
Ideally you want to work for the mountain to get free season pass and discounts around the resort owned shops. IMO you want to stay at Big White not in Kelowna.
Fire away with any other questions you might have