Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Bataleon 2012 Q & A

199K views 752 replies 138 participants last post by  Robisten8 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Back from SIA in Denver and just visited a long and winding thread here full of questions about 2012 Bataleon.

I spent a bunch of time with Bataleon guys and will be happy to answer any Q's abot the upcoming line.

As an up front, Bataleon had a breakthrough year in 2011 and is going to explode in 2012. TBT has come of age! On a graphics front, the boards look insane (way better even than the pictures I am seeing). A new pressing process allows the TBT to show through the topsheet. This is not a performance thing, but it does help riders to visualize the tech.

The Evil Twin SE and the Women's FeelBetter (yeaaahh!) look ill.

STOKED!!!!!

#269 ·
You bet.

ET uses Twin TBT, Whatever uses Freestyle TBT. Twin has wider center bases. The whatever will be a bit quicker edge to edge and the ET a bit more tuned for presses, etc.

The ET is stiffened a slight bit for pop in the tip and tail. Whatever is constant flex.

Different laminate config is used on the two boards (triax on the ET vs biax on the Whatever).

Sinterred base on the ET vs Extruded on the Whatever.

The differences are there, but please realize that these are both designed as all around freestyle boards. The ET leaning a littel more towards Park and the Whatever leaning a little more towards All mountain.

Please let me know more about your riding and where you spend your time and I will make a specific suggestion for each model.

#270 ·
thanks for the quick & thorough reply

im an intermediate rider ... i hit small jumps and jibs and spend about equal time in park and slope. im on the east coast where most places arent groomed well and really icy and conditions can be all over the place, so am leaning towards the whatever. i dont go often enough to have a full quiver but just want an amazing all around board but leans freestyle

ive ridden a 155 '10 ET and fell in love with it. but then again my current board is crap so anything would be amazing as an upgrade.

#283 ·
Hi, the only Wiredsport charge would be $15.00 USD for the shipping. Duty will apply but will depend on your location. We cannot quote on destination specific duty charges as these are not Wiredsport charges.

#286 ·
The Raiden Phontoms or Zeros would be great choices. All 2012 Raiden models are now in stock. Flow 2012 is in stock but is a few days away from being up on the site. All Flux 2012 models and all Gnu Models will be available in the next two weeks. Some technine is already available. The rest of the line will trickle in over the next few weeks.

Thanks!

#288 ·
Hi all,

I've read this post and see some peeps with similar questions as myself, I was hoping I could get a tailored response as well?

157lbs
10 mens boot- 9.5 barefoot against wall
Currently ride 2007 Arbor Element 155
Only ride groomers and powder when available in Big Bear, Ca
7 years riding (always took it easy)
AND, moving to Colorado next year.

Really want to learn flatland tricks, minor jumping (180's and 3's) and for whatever reason, front flips.

I'm eyeing a 2012 ET, as I still want a board to do all mountain cruising. For some reason I can't steer myself towards the 154 size because I already have a 155, and I keep thinking the 152 will be better for playing around with and learning 1's and 3's.... Sigh.... What's everyone's thought? I don't care about speed and super deep powder- I can always use the arbor. Just want a fun board to screw around with that can still handle Colorado mountains.

Thanks a bunch all!
Chris

#290 · (Edited)
Hi all,
AND, moving to Colorado next year.

Really want to learn flatland tricks, minor jumping (180's and 3's) and for whatever reason, front flips.

I'm eyeing a 2012 ET, as I still want a board to do all mountain cruising. For some reason I can't steer myself towards the 154 size because I already have a 155, and I keep thinking the 152 will be better for playing around with and learning 1's and 3's.... Sigh.... What's everyone's thought? I don't care about speed and super deep powder- I can always use the arbor. Just want a fun board to screw around with that can still handle Colorado mountains.

Thanks a bunch all!
Chris
Might I suggest a 153 Whatever? I'm just a few pounds lighter than you and that board was super fun. It is going to be a little softer than the ET, but seeing as how Colorado generally has good snow, unless you're at Keystone after sundown or WP, you don't need as stiff of a board or as gnarly of edgehold to stay in control. I got away with riding a 150 jibstick for nearly all last year and they year I lived in Breck rode everything on my 152 Subpop, possibly one of the softest boards on the market. And since you already have your Arbor, have some fun. Not to say that the ET wont be fun, or that the whatever is a noodle, it's softer than the ET, but still stiffer than the Airobic, Disaster, and I think the FunKink as well. I was told it was a quiver killer though I thought it was softer than that, but there is a possibility they stiffened it up for production, that does happen.

ET, Whatever, either way Bataleons are really fun boards and you'll be stoked on it.

http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/2012-bataleon-whatever-used-and-reviewed/

#289 ·
I am 170lbs and about to jump on my 152 ET Artists Edition. A little worried about the size but having ridden my mates 152 Hero and the GFs 148 GTwin i know the smaller sizes can still hand the mountain fine while being a lot more fun to play around on. Hard charging down a diamond run might be out of the question but who cares!

#291 ·
Thanks a bunch for the ideas/suggestions Nivek and Sil3nt!

And really, cheers to everyone on this thread for being so helpful and kind to one another.

WiredSport- your contribution is incredible.

The Whatever board sounds perfect, Nivek. The graphics however, oh boy. With graphics like that they should throw in a 12 pack of Zimas. BUT, if it's that fun- it's worth it no doubt. Is the 2012 FunKink that much softer than the Whatever? Can I still cruise bowls and blue diamonds with ease on a FunKink? I ask in desperation 'cause the graphics are so much better.

A 2012 Fun Kink 151 too small for a fun cruising board on Colorado groomers? Lay it on me.

Again, thank you.
Chris

#293 ·
It's softer definitely, but If you really just hate the Whatever's graphics, I like them, then I would actually shoot for the 154. It will still be plenty playful in the tips. I can ride 154's built for the same breakdown and I'm lighter than you. TBT also makes it more doable since it's inherently fun in the tips.

Either the 153 Whatever or the 154 FunKink should be a blast.

#292 ·
Hi, i was trying to research bataleon boards and stumbled across this thread.

I've been rocking an old bataleon Hero 159 (from 2006 i think?) for the past 4 years or so, and i love it, but it's gettin to the point where it's getting decently worn, and i'm itching to try something new.

the type of riding i do is mainly bombing as fast as a run allows, or hunting for powder in the trees. I dont do any park stuff, and dont really do any jumps. I would say I'm a very experienced boarder, but nothing crazy good.

I got my eyes on the Omni (debating between the 158 and 161) or the undisputed, but i must say the undisputed seems a lil too much just big mountain riding, I still want to be able to enjoy chill days with my less experienced friends. Are there any boards in the lineup that i might be missing?

oh yeah, i'm 5'10", 180lbs, size 13 boots. ive been in tahoe for the past 4 years, but going to be moving to switzerland next year (no clue what to expect there)

also, can anyone provide any feedback as to how worth it the 2012 boards are compared to the 2011? It seems like you can get the 2011 boards for ~$100 less; are the 2012 boards worth 100 bucks more?

thanks!

#294 · (Edited)
hey im looking at getting a bataleon evil twin...i heard theyre a little heavier than other boards...anyone have any input on that?
i was riding a k2 fastplant 151 last season but broke my collarbone then tore my acl and in the process lost about 30 lbs, 15 of which i have gained back...im now 5'6 130 lbs size 9 boot...if i stay at this weight should i stick to the 149 or go up to the 152?

im always in the parks on the east coast doing rails and kickers, but more a fan of kickers so im kind of leaning towards the 152, but im not sure if its gonna be kinda big or heavy, havent ridden a cambered board in a while either haha. any help would be great, thanks!

#299 ·
Jam or Omni?

Heyhey! so I have been reading this thread for the past few months hyping myself up on a new purchase and first ever Bataleon board. I need some help, much like others, picking out the right size for my floating, powdery dreams. Right now I ride a 2008 Ride concept tms 159. It has been the only board I've ever ridden, and it is a beast for speed... A little stiff at times, but I def. throw it around. I ride a lot of freestyle/freeride into the trees and all the stashes I can find (mostly in the sierras)

I am looking at mostly the Jam and Omni, but I think I want to stick with the twin instead of going all out directional... but the back seat set up seems awesome! Do you think the Jam will be a little more forgiving than my Ride? I still want to bomb those hills and have a damp board... The goliath seems intersting, but the tech in the the Jam seems far more appealing for what I want to ride...

5'11 160lbs 10.5 foot...

What size should I get? do I need to downsize a little because of the TBT giving me some added benefits? 159 seems pretty nice for me and the amount of snow I've been hitting. lots of pow days, so I don't want to downsize unless the TBT really gives the lift I need.

Thanks so much for all the resources on this matter, just saw the bataleon catalog is up online! prices on the Jam and Omni?

Thanks again! love this forum....

#300 ·
Hi Kahanquest,

It is as though they built the Jam specifically for you :) This is a neutral flexing board that for me, always seems to "push back" just hard enough. I don't have enough nice words for the Omni (I love the Omni - SMOOTCH) but, it is directional (outline, flex and inserts) so if you are looking to avoid directional it is not right for you.

For the Jam, stick with 159. All marketing aside, there is no cheating surface area when it comes to float in powder.

If you find yourself in Oregon this winter I will make sure that you get to try one.

Yeeeehhaaawwww.:cheeky4:

#311 ·
Hi Kahanquest,

I don't have enough nice words for the Omni (I love the Omni - SMOOTCH) but, it is directional (outline, flex and inserts) so if you are looking to avoid directional it is not right for you.

For the Jam, stick with 159. All marketing aside, there is no cheating surface area when it comes to float in powder.

If you find yourself in Oregon this winter I will make sure that you get to try one.

Yeeeehhaaawwww.:cheeky4:
Thanks for the advice! Curious if you consider neutral flex still playful. Some of the videos ive seen of flex in the airobic are giving me some sort of sense .

I love the omni this year! So sleek and fine! It was my personal choice until I felt I had a quiver killer, discovering the Jam. I def. Want too show off that huge bottom sheet with pride once I get it.

About the store, when are you guys in full operation to come up and shop? My first trip last season was up at mt hood meadows around thanksgiving. I almost feel like buying before trying! Ha. I can't figure out who demos in cali.

#302 ·
Hi, I would like some advice.
I want the new goliath, but i do not know what length to take.
I'm 5.84ft x 165lb,
boots: northwave decade sl size 10.5
bindings: flux tt30 size M

Please help me :rolleyes:
Stoked that you are considering Bataleon!

What stance angles and stance width do you ride? Where do you live/ride?

Thanks!

#309 ·
So I thought I had my new board search nailed down to 2 boards: GNU Billy Goat or NS Heritage. Then I started reading this thread and the Bataleon Omni looks very interesting. Here's the info on me:

Height: 6'
Weight: 197lbs.
Boots: K2 T1 size 10
Angles: +21/+9
Geography: PNW
Terrain: Everything but park, enjoy bombimg early morning groomers and pow stashes.
Current board: 2005 Burton Canyon 163
Riding level: Intermediate, I don't hit any big jumps or cliffs but I'm really good at linking turns at speed and I don't have any problems with steeps, trees, and moguls.

I've enjoyed the Canyon, it is fast and stable but it does seem slow edge to edge and I would like something that I can turn quicker with in the trees and moguls. So how is the Omni going to compare to those other 2 boards and my Canyon? I know any of these 3 boards would work but I'd like to figure if one would be a better fit than the others. Thanks.

#317 ·
First off, I am stoked for you. You are looking at 3 awesome boards and in truth, you cannot make a bad choice between them. That said, you are comparing some very different designs. Camber with triple Base vs C2 Banana. The feel of each is remarkably different. The Omni has been the rad sleeper board in the Bataleon lineup and my hunch is that it will explode this year. It hangs more on the all mountain side of freeride than the Goat which in my opinion moves out more towards the freeride / pow side of the spectrum.

#310 ·
if anyone was wondering about the flex of the boards...here is an example of the disaster and evil twin...these are the lobster snowboards however the specs and materials will show you that the lobster parkboard is the same exact board as the evil twin and the jibboard is the disaster, also the lobster girlboard is the distortia...not surprising im sure halldor and eiki had some input on tweaking the bataleon design for lobster and bataleon decided to do the changes on their boards as well.

...anyway here is a little video they made about the jib tbt and twin tbt and they do a little flexing at the end
the disaster/jibboard looks ridiculously soft!

Lobster board TBT info on Vimeo

#312 ·
if anyone was wondering about the flex of the boards...here is an example of the disaster and evil twin...

...anyway here is a little video they made about the jib tbt and twin tbt and they do a little flexing at the end
the disaster/jibboard looks ridiculously soft!

Lobster board TBT info on Vimeo

The disaster looks insane for sure. I found more flex videos throughout tactics board shop on YouTube. Mainly the airobic is the interesting one. I like that people are doing videos of flex and feel. Selling point for online sales for sureee.

Anyone know what bindings to go with for this new year? I ride 2008 Burton p1 wingtips. I like what I know, but it seems like union and ride are putting out some nice stuff. I love the new toe from union. My p1's slip off my toe sometimes. No good.

Ride aggressively the whole mountain, but like some forgiveness for freestyling. Meathoddddd

Cheers!

#320 ·
Hi Xotix,

Could you ride it? Yes. The width difference is .2 cm (waist and inserts)...but, the better suggestion would be the 159 Wide. The 2cm extra effective will help a lot when the smow is less than perfect. TBT will keep it from feeling long.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.