Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - K2 Darkstar -vs- Nitro Rook + opinions on either?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Nivek
Veteran Member

Well the Rook is definitely one of my favorite jump decks. This year I will likely be on a Signal Park Flat, possibly with a little tweak of my design, but the normal one should be a pretty good softer park board, good for me as an all around the mountain park stick. For me as a lighter guy the 2012 K2 Fastplant made a really good slightly stiffer park stick. You do have to like the "organic" flex and snap of bamboo for this one. The pop release is different, a fraction slower than carbon. It is only one size, but the Nitro Kooley Pro One Off 153 was really really well done and I had a ton of fun on it. I was told it was a beefed up Subzero, but I was also told it was a 151... so I'm not really sure what it is. I'm assuming it replaced what the Gross Out series was for 2011. So a directional flex twin mid stiff park deck with Gullwing. The funnest board I have ridden for 2012 is still the Blacklist though. I could send a jump with confidence and still get techy on jibs. One of the greatest built boards to date for my style, and BA's for that matter. For a budget my favorites are the Flow Verve, Salomon Drift Rocker, and Signal Park Flat/Rocker Light. Verve was just solid and did more than you'd expect from a pricepoint twin park stick, the Drift rocker was really good giving some solid pop while remaining soft enough to satisfy tiny jib rats, and the Rocker Light was like the Drift but like a hair softer version of that. Good enough snap to satisfy but even jibbier than the Drift.

Also as far as the effective edge difference between the Darkstar and Rook, Nitro is more popular in Europe than the US. For the time Nitro somewhat lost their US presence, they were remained big in Europe. So their sidecuts still cater to that crowd, they are always dialed and work well. They never turn too hard or leave you wanting more sidecut (if you're on the right board for the job, don't expect to euro-carve a Swindle) and they grip better than average for a "techless" sidecut.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 08-16-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote