Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Skins?
Thread: Skins?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Well I went 10 years without a tail kit, so it's not 100% necessary. I also skunked my skins a half dozen times. Had to put them in a jacket and warm them for 30 minutes to get them to work. Voile straps saved my butt a few times too. If you don't have any of those I recommend buying four in the 24" length. I've used them to secure skins, tighten a boot, make a broken ski pole usable, even to make a broken binding usable. They can really save your bacon when you are out in the backcountry.

If you are not worried about the costs, go with the Voile skins and get a Spark Tail Kit. It's nice having the nose attachment already pre curved and such. If you are looking to save a few dollars, go with climbing skins direct. You'll have a tail kit that comes with them and the skins work just fine. In a lot of ways they are easier to deal with than the Voile skins. They just don't look as nice once you finish modding them for splitboard skis is all. At least with me it worked out that way. I of course have zero artistic talent. I can't draw stick figures for fuck's sake...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote