Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Problems with an edge tool (LONG)
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
davidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by The111 View Post
Recently I purchased my first edge tool. It is a popular multi-edge tool, and I had no problem with it on my side edges, however I did have a problem on my base edges. To start, I set the angle to 1 degree which I knew was my current base edge angle, and using a file I ran the tool VERY lightly over the edge. Immediately I noticed that ptex (base) material was being removed along with metal filings. This concerned me, and eventually I realized what was happening. It's much easier to show with diagrams. Looking at the image below...

Thanks!
Dude, you some kind of engineer or something ? This is a great writeup of the problem . It is for precisely this reason that I don't have a base edge tool (just use a side edge tool) to do my own tuning. Instead I use a very fine hand-held diamond stone to smooth out the base edge occasionally... nothing more.

I have an oooolld Gnu which I am going to convert into my rock/experimentation board within the next year or so. Once I do this, I'm going to see how the vertex shift affects the board's handling. Sorry, no answers here, but if there's a tool that answers the bell, I'd be most interested. If I find one I'll post it.
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote