Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Problems with an edge tool (LONG)
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
The111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
I would suggest buying a base edge file guide. I have an adjustable one that cost only $35. It has guide bead non-concentrically mounted on the base guide with notches. You rotate it to lift the guide at the appropriate angle.
Interesting. It's hard for me to visualize... but are you saying the bead lifts up the "base guide"... filling in the "gap" in my second image? In a perfect world this would solve the problem (as would shimming with tape or something else), but the real issue is how much do you shim? Or in this case, how much do you push the bead out? It's all happening at such a small scale you can't trust your eye. Too much shim (or adjustable bead) or not enough, and you don't solve the problem... you could even make it worse with way too much shim.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what the bead does.

Quote:
Another problem you are going to encounter if you simply partially engage the file into the guide, in addition to creating the edge step, is you are going to form a non 90 degree angle. If angle formed by my base and side edge beevels must not be 90 degrees, I would always prefer it to be obtuse rather than acute
Very good point. Until the base guide sits flush (and the edge step is completely cut out), you are cutting a smaller angle than you want, which leads to an acute "base-side angle" (assuming 90 degrees was your goal). I agree with your reasoning for obtuse being preferable... adding to those reasons that an acute angle is probably grabbier, in a bad way.

Quote:
The other option you have is to shim the third contact point (on the base edge) with something. Perhaps you could use tape or something of that nature. If you are really into getting a good detailed tune out of your entire board, I'd really recommend picking up a good base and side edge file guide.

Base Edge: Amazon.com: Base Bevel File Guide SKS Vario Adjustable All Angle: Sports & Outdoors You can clearly see that bronze "guide" bead as I describe above. This one I chose on a whim over the Swix ones and it works quite well.

I'd recommend starting with a 1.0/1.0 if the factory hasn't already set one.
Still trying to figure out exactly how that tool works to solve my problems, but I am definitely open to buying a "base only" tool... even though I did invest $60 in my multi tool. And yes, 1.0/1.0 is my goal and I believe what my edges are already set at. I just want to do a very light filing at that setting to confirm it, and after that move to stones for the long run.
The111 is offline   Reply With Quote