Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Possible La Nina year again?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  snowvols 
#1 ·
According to this article on ESPN it's possible. Here's to hoping that the US Meteorologists are correct!

#3 ·
Thing about our summer this year on the wet coast is that we didn't melt as much snowpack as usual and I'm pretty sure the ground and water didn't absorb as much heat as usual. This should mean that as soon as the days really start to shorten, it should cool off more quickly than usual.

#4 ·
Thats weird whatyou said about the snowpack, all of our rivers were ROARING at the beginning of the summer. We had a well above average snow melt and the rivers actually opened up quite late this year. Another massive snowfall this year would be fantastic, just as long as i dont have a month of +32 degree weather again, that lasted way too long and ruined the snow.

#5 ·
Man, I am all for a repeat of last season. Everyday I went out was a powder day from November to late May. It was ridiculous. I can do without the days that never got into the positive temps at the end of December beginning of January. Then again, those days didn't suck either, just cold.

#6 ·
I hope it's a good year.... I got a little over 20 days in before last xmas then only 4 after christmas due to work..... SUCKED!

Changing my job/schedule this year

#10 ·
haha you guys in ski resort row got absolutly dumped on, i was constantly checking snow levels in utah, pretty bonkers. I hope my utah trip this year is a repeat of last year (22" in one night) and you guys get crazy amounts of champagne powder.

#11 ·
Over here it really doesnt effect us that much. I would say the last 3 seasons were real good here. Prior to that it was terrible. We know were gonna get snow but what we really need is the ground to harden early, then get a blast..That way it will stay. If we get a blast early but the ground really didnt harden it could be gone in a week. The other thing too of course are the lake effect winds.That probably is the most key for us...

And interestingly enough I recently learned and never really thought about it but we get not only lake effect snow but lake effect rain and cloud enhancements too... It happened last week. One small area got pounded while everyone else was in sunshine:laugh:
I started snowboarding like 4 years ago, arond the time you said we started to get decent winters. What's a bad winder than? :(

#14 ·
Yeah, I am tentatively planning on heading out there. For something like a 5 day, maybe week long trip. Trying to bank vacation time right now. The nice thing is it's only an 8 hour drive. If I get lucky I might score some cheap plane tickets. I have gotten $60 tickets RT. Either way, it's not that much of a journey to go visit, I just have to make it happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.