Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Never Summer Proto 154 or 157
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
MeanJoe

I've had my Proto CT 157 for a bit over a week in my office sitting right next to my NeverSummer SL 155. As I've gazed longingly at them side-by-side and prayed for an early winter, I've noticed that not only is the Proto a couple centimeters longer (155 SL vs. 157 Proto) but the Proto appears to be very much a larger board than the 157 designation. By that I mean that the difference between the two looks to be more than the 2 centimeters that the sizing would imply. I think this may be somewhat just perception over reality because the other thing I've noticed, the 157 seems to actually in fact be a larger board (say a 160) with a few centimeters cut off of the nose/tail to make the blunt shape. I know they don't actually cut down a larger board during manufacturing but the Proto's geometry, especially the longer effective edge of a standard board of the same size, makes the board seem like larger board that has been "blunted down" to a 157 length.

I've been honestly wondering if I made the wrong decision to get a 157 instead of a 154. I'm a bit large for a smaller board but the SL 155 has held up okay at my current weight. My concern was with a softer flexing board and my current weight that a 154 might be too small. Now, considering my observations comparing the two side-by-side I'm not so sure. If those observations are somewhat correct and a 154 would in fact be more equivalent to a 156-157 with the tip/tail cut off then perhaps I would have been better off with the 154.

MeanJoe
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote