Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Advice if starting from scratch with skateboarding?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
aiidoneus
Resident Snowman

That is why I think longboarding is easier to start out. You can find a small, or even nearly flat fresh stretch of road and just cruise around. For me going from longboarding to skateboard seemed easier because I had good balance built up and could already do some of the tricks on a longboard.

For longboarding the gear I use:

- Bones swiss bearings (not abec rated). I don't find them any faster, just last longer. Like snowbanana said, abec 7 is good enough.

- Orangatang durions, good for sliding and decent enough for medium speeds. Wheel choice really depends on what you want to do. I recommend starting with a wheel that slides easily, it will make learning to stop easier.

- Lush slide gloves, get a good pair of gloves, leather. Or make your own with construction gloves

- Helmet and knee pads are highly recommend. I like protec stuff.

Others may disagree, but the biggest difference in how a board rides for me is the trucks and bushings. Bushings are cheap, and completely change how it rides. I use paris trucks with really soft bushings so it carves quickly. However that will make it more unstable at high speeds. My preference is just to cruise around and do tricks instead of bomb hills at high speed.

Last edited by aiidoneus; 08-26-2011 at 07:12 AM.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote