Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Bataleon 2012 Q & A

199K views 752 replies 138 participants last post by  Robisten8 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Back from SIA in Denver and just visited a long and winding thread here full of questions about 2012 Bataleon.

I spent a bunch of time with Bataleon guys and will be happy to answer any Q's abot the upcoming line.

As an up front, Bataleon had a breakthrough year in 2011 and is going to explode in 2012. TBT has come of age! On a graphics front, the boards look insane (way better even than the pictures I am seeing). A new pressing process allows the TBT to show through the topsheet. This is not a performance thing, but it does help riders to visualize the tech.

The Evil Twin SE and the Women's FeelBetter (yeaaahh!) look ill.

STOKED!!!!!

#319 ·
Just spent the last two days riding my ET. Didn't notice the TBT at first as i haven't ridden for awhile. But soon found it spins without catching with no effort at all. Going straight can be a little strange as it moves around a bit but otherwise the board is all good.

#321 ·
What is with the inserts? If i could ride it? The question is, if it makes fun riding it. ;) I need to test some boards to see what fits. :/ So, do you think, i should go for the evil twin or something different? Maybe the Riot? I'll first hire them to see if it fits. Probably im hiring it in 159w. hmm, im going to get 2 boards. Evil twin for sure and as the second maybe the riot or the airobic? Hmm... Any suggestions?

#323 ·
You get all details here http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/40755-need-new-set-up-wanna-try.html

But this season i wanna do freestyle. Like flatland stuff, butters, a lot of the beginner park stuff. boxes rails. The little kickers like 20ft. Doign some kicker in the backcountry (but not a lot probably). i think the stuff which counts are boxes, kickers 10-20ft maybe more if i get to it, butters, flatland. Like 180, 360 over some little hills. It should be great in the park and okay at the normal slope.

#327 ·
We are just going together, nothing more. Actually, i'll spent most time alon this year since he lives "far" away and my other friends dont like snowboarding...

Hmm, he want to do stuff like me. His weight, oh, he's even fatter then me, haha. About 100kg and the boots are 49. That would be about 14-15 US...He is about 188cm.

#328 ·
So for him I would add on the Riot 159 Wide. It will double as a great monster pop board for you. You will have the freestyle side of things more than covered this year. I am stoked to hear your impressions of both models.

Thanks!

#329 ·
Yeah i'll replay, but it will take about a month till the nearer regions are opened. Dont wanna go to the saas fee glacier just for testing boards :p (But i could board in the summer, isn't that great? I should do that once. )

Thanks again and i'll replay in this thread. :)

#337 ·
Hey everyone hows it going? I've been contemplating on which board i should go with this year so i thought i'd ask you guys for some advise. Im about 6 feet tall, 125 lbs, and have a boot size of 10.5. I live in British Columbia, and i mostly ride jibs and jumps down the groomer runs or i'll hit up the backcountry to build a booter or just shred some pow. I currently ride a 2011 Bataleon riot 155 and i love everything about it except that it is a little stiff for me and that it tends to want to pull the tips under in pow. So for this coming season i've been looking at either getting the 2012 Whatever in a 156, or the Fun.Kink in a 154. Any suggestions on which board would suit my riding best?

Thank you

#339 · (Edited)
Et?

This is pretty awesome you are making recommendations. I have a question for you...

I mostly freeride, I like to pick up speed and do blues and blacks, but I like to try buttering and some jumps off sidecuts, and some small jumps in the park, nothing crazy. My current board is 158 and pretty stiff so its hard to butter. What do you recommend? Evil Twin?

I measured my foot at 10.5....I wear a size 10 boot. I am about 190lbs. I ride 15/0 goofy.

I ride mostly weekend trips on the East coast/Mid-Atlantic area, but do a couple extended trips out West or the North East.

Thanks for your time.

#341 ·
I mostly freeride, I like to pick up speed and do blues and blacks, but I like to try buttering and some jumps off sidecuts, and some small jumps in the park, nothing crazy. My current board is 158 and pretty stiff so its hard to butter

Thanks for your time.
Curious about all this buttering. Even with a low flexing bataleon, a rider should experience easier buttering because of the Tbt? Side by side, camber vs Tbt, same flex rating; say neutral. Would the bataleon rider be at much more ease?

Time to make a video.

Can't wait for the upcoming season. I should just drive up mt. Hood. Wooo!

#346 ·
Do you mean bindings? All 2012 Flow bindings (every model, size, and color) are in stock now and will be on the site later this week. All Flux bindings (every model, size, and color) should be up early next week. Raiden bindings, Gnu bindings, and Roxy bindings are all either in stock now or coming in the next week.

#353 ·
Which Board?

All right so you are fantastic at answering questions, so I hope you don't mind if i shoot a few at you here. Sorry in advance if it's a super long comment.

First off, I ride in BC, mtns like Grouse and Whistler Blackcomb. Grouse can be a little icy.. unless there is fresh pow pow =).

Me: 140-145lbs, 9.5 32boots (foot size is 26cm though), and 171cm (5'6).

My Riding style: I like to ride pow and speed down the mountain from time to time. Most of the time i'm hitting anythiing and everything on the runs. I love to do all size jumps (spins,flips, everything i can attempt i do) and i love to do rails (anything and everything i will try to do on rails). I would say I'm a park rat (i like jumps more but i wanna get rails down too) but when the lines are long i'm fine with riding pow and enjoying the surf while hitting jumps on the run.

Which board is best for my riding? I'm looking at an ET, but i also LOVE that Aerobic and it's graphics. I just don't know if the aerobic and jib.tbt could handle bigger jumps and the tricks i attempt. The ET i don't know if that's soft enough for rails. The twin tbt. looks flatter so sounds better for rails too but iunno if it's soft enough.

Right now I have the 2010 USA fun.kink edition (153)... I find it perfect cept i think it's a little heavy and long.. I am thinking of going for 149-152 now. What do you think of the size change for my height?

Last question. I broke my 390 Bosses early this year trying to do a 720 in the park. After that, I don't feel like those bindings can handle my riding. I want a soft binding for sure, any ideas? I'm thinking Flux..Seems more durable to withstand what i do.

I dont know what my style of riding calls for.. I'm thinking that the fun.kink i have now is probably the best in between of the aerobic and ET. Perhaps i'll stick with it but i'm curious anyways..What is your opinion on the fun.kink by the way?

Sorry for the long ass comment.. i really tried not to make it so long. Guess i just wanted to be Thorough. Thanks so much though! You rock.

#355 ·
Hi Ellz,

Cool. You are really looking for an all around freestyle board if you are going to have only one board. You mentioned slope rider, park rat, rails, big hits, ice, powder, etc. Are you going to keep the fun kink? If so we can find a strong second board to fill gaps. If not we will suggest a model that is right down the middle for your style.

#358 ·
Yeah, i'll keep my fun.kink and buy a 2nd board. I really like the ET but not the graphics or flex (not soft enough for rails?).. lol. AErobic really is my choice but i think it's too nooddley for jumps. Or maybe none of this will even make a difference.. and i'm over analyzing it right now.

What do you suggest =)

Thanks again.

#360 ·
Good info. I would dig it if we could narrow down what is most important for you to get out of this new ride. The reason I ask is that the Airobic and Fun Kink are both pretty soft and are close to each other in that element. So if you are looking to go big, rage on ice, explore more and still be true to your park lovin' self, possibly you should spread it out a bit and grab a Whatever.

#362 ·
All right, to narrow it down i'd say i'm purely about the park. All my goals are to do tricks. I probably ride pow about a hand full of times throughout a season. Otherwise I'm dedicated to nailin jump and rail tricks.

Since lines are long and i don't wanna just stay in the park ALL DAAAAYYY i usually ride the entire mtn lookin for jumps and jibbing constantly.

#366 · (Edited)
Sweet Thanks for the help! I'm thinking the fun.kink i have right now is probably the next best thing to a ET anyways. So having something softer will be more playful for my weight while the fun.kink can be my large jumps and pow board. I think my weight is light enough to deal with it in that manner.

Oh and i convinced my friend to get the 2011 classic ET.. so i've set myself up for glory. HAHAHAHA. Aerobic,fun.kink, ET... awwwww yeahh

Thanks again man, making a boys dream come true here... I love that bat(leon) board!

OH HEY! what about the bindings? 390 bosses are broken so i need new ones. What kinda bindings should i get. I'm thinking one of the soft flux bindings?

#368 ·
Does new Bataleon boards need wax before 1st use?
Bataleon boards all come with factory wax. You can always add some fresh temperture specific wax for your local conditions. Bataleon's own dual friction wax designed for TBT should do the trick ;).

#369 ·
So I,m pretty sure im getting a goliath for this upcoming season, i cant wait to ride it. I had a question on what size i should get. I am 5'9" with a size 9.5 boot and i weigh about 150 lbs. I currently have a 153 NS Evo so im trying to decide between the 153 and 156 Goliath. Thanks in advance

#371 ·
Can I give this a shot as well?

I've read through every page of this thread and have narrowed it down to two possible Bataleons, the Goliath (156) or the Riot (not sure what size). I'm 5'9", 160lbs, size 9.5 foot (burton ion) and ride at 15 -15 at ~23". I've been getting 70+ days a year the past few years at Mammoth. I ride a lot of all-mountain but try to boost, spin, slide logs, and hop over bushes/rocks/drops as much as possible. I spend maybe a third of my time in a park but really only jump 20-30 footers at most and jib when there is a box or rail in front of me. I can spin 3s and started learning 5s (on mini jumps) at the end of last season.

My quiver consists of a 2009/2010 DH2 155 which I love. A lot of people say it's super poppy but it feels right to me. It's the flat kick version not the new CamRock version. I spend most of my time on it. Over the summer I picked up a 164 Charlie Slasher so I'll be whipping him out on deep days. I'm a little nervous of not riding a twin, we'll see how it goes. I also own a 2009/2010 Never Summer Evo 155, I had fun on that at first but after about a half season I switched back to the DH2. I'll probably be selling it when the season starts as it's just not manly enough to charge through stuff and I spend a ton of time on steeper stuff (non-groomers), doing tree runs and blowing through crap. I picked up a Totally FK'n Awesome 157 late last season and while I only have 4-5 days on it (that's probably exaggerating) I don't think it's going to overtake the DH2 any time soon. I'll probably be selling it as well. It was fun, and I thought it was playful/fun/soft it just wasn't doing it for me. I also picked up an Omatic Celebrity BS 155 last year and I love cruising around on that. If I'm chilling with my girl and it hasn't snowed, I can have a blast on that board buttering around, falling over and trying to see if I can catch an edge.

Any opinions anyone could give me on which Bataleon (and size) would work best for me (and why) I'd really appreciate it. I'm not necessarily looking to fill a gap in my quiver, just interested in a new camber profile. The wider base on the Riot has me a bit interested for jibbing/buttering. Your answers and enthusiasm definitely have me interested in a Bataleon for the upcoming season.

Muchos Gracias.

#373 ·
Can I give this a shot as well?
Hey Heinrich,

Sounds like you are livin' it and have a sick quiver already in place.

The DH2 is a really fun board. You will love the Riot 154, and if you walked into our shop I would make you :) try the Jam 156 as well. Those two boards are monsters and will make you grin to yourself sometimes. They Jam is more all mountain leaning than the Riot, but your sentence about steeper stuff, tree run and blowin through crap made me suggest it.

#372 ·
honestly if you like your DH2 and are not looking for a hole filler then I would just look at the ET. Its a super fun park board. Should be softer than your DH2 but totally jumpable, and similarly jibbably seeing as how its camber and your DH2 is basically zero. Possibly even a little more jibbable

#374 · (Edited)
Evil Twin or Goliath...

Hello everybody

I'm buying a new snowboard and am considering a Bataleon Evil Twin and wanted to ask you guys for some advice. I'm 6' 3" tall, my weight is 158 lbs and I wear size 13 Nitro boots. Should I go for the 156w or the 159w. I'm interested in the Evil Twin for it's park and jib abilities, but will most likely use it for everything else too, slopes and off-piste (I spent around 40% of the time at the park and 60% on the slopes, but I do tend to play alot on the slopes instead of racing down on 'em). I won't go off-piste with it much, because most of the time the conditions won't let me and it's not like I'm specifically a back-country goer but when the conditions are right and I find myself at the top of a nice off-piste run, I'm always in for it. Therefore I thought it would be better to take a board that's a bit longer. Or should I, since it will be my only board, go for a Goliath 157w. Interresting to know is that I can get my hands on a Goliath from last years line and therefore is significantly cheaper, that is 315€ (±450$) instead of a board from this years line that's 450€ (±640$). What to do? Thanks

Greets, Tim

Edit: While looking up the prices in dollars I figured importing a board from the States might also be something to consider since the 450€ I'm paying for a new board over here (Netherlands) can be reduced to 370€ (including shipping costs/taxes), if bought from the States.

#376 ·
Hello everybody

I'm buying a new snowboard and am considering a Bataleon Evil Twin and wanted to ask you guys for some advice. I'm 6' 3" tall, my weight is 158 lbs and I wear size 13 Nitro boots. Should I go for the 156w or the 159w. I'm interested in the Evil Twin for it's park and jib abilities, but will most likely use it for everything else too, slopes and off-piste (I spent around 40% of the time at the park and 60% on the slopes, but I do tend to play alot on the slopes instead of racing down on 'em). I won't go off-piste with it much, because most of the time the conditions won't let me and it's not like I'm specifically a back-country goer but when the conditions are right and I find myself at the top of a nice off-piste run, I'm always in for it. Therefore I thought it would be better to take a board that's a bit longer. Or should I, since it will be my only board, go for a Goliath 157w. Interresting to know is that I can get my hands on a Goliath from last years line and therefore is significantly cheaper, that is 315€ (±450$) instead of a board from this years line that's 450€ (±640$). What to do? Thanks

Greets, Tim

Edit: While looking up the prices in dollars I figured importing a board from the States might also be something to consider since the 450€ I'm paying for a new board over here (Netherlands) can be reduced to 370€ (including shipping costs/taxes), if bought from the States.
Hi Tim,

Stoked that you are considering Bataleon!

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.