Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Making A Log Rail -- Need Advice from a Wood Expert!
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
bchambers94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden_Death View Post
If you use cedar you won't need to varnish as it is naturally rot resistant. Something like a thompsons water seal would work on a non cedar log though it won't last long on the area you are sliding.To make it easier to slide a sanding and good thick coat of wax would help a bunch.
Yeah I have no idea what type of tree it is, but it's def. not cedar lol. What type of wax would you recommend? Just like any type of wax? And I'll be using Marine varnish, supposively the best around for wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
I hear karasene is a wood expert but prolly a different kind of wood...
Thanks bro, I'll Shoot him a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Wow dude right to the punch.

They're wood you don't put anything on the top to slide it just make it nice and smooth or you could be a real man and just de-bark the thing and do it like we do log jibs here.
Yeah I was def. Planning on debarking it so we could put a protective coating all around. My question was just if sanding was enough to slide the log? It seems like the board would get stuck or catch an edge, etc. Thanks for the help!
bchambers94 is offline   Reply With Quote