Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Pantagonia!

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Steez 
#1 ·
Cerro Catedral. Bariloche, Argentina.

Alright Alright.. I admit this isn't yet a "proper" trip report... Because I'm on the verge of passing out. BUT I'm so STOKED to be here. Had to share the photos taken today. I promise I'll fill in details once I have a minute to be more descriptive of the trip.
But I will give a shout out to:SGT Argentina | Argentina Summer Snowboard Camp & Ski Camps
for making this a great week!!!
Still several days to go.

WISH YOU WERE HERE!!!

View attachment 6050
^My First night in Bariloche. Invested in a Nikon D5100 the night before my flight.. the snow just started to fall that night so I had to give the camera a whirl.

View attachment 6051
Hiking up to the 7k summit of La Laguna (taken yesterday Tuesday 8.31.11)

View attachment 6052
View off one side of the summit.

View attachment 6053
Erin Comstock at the top.

View attachment 6054
Today Robin Van Gyn with the SGT group. Top of the Bowl.

View attachment 6055
Group photo. Today bottom of the bowl.

View attachment 6056
Me today after a sick pow line in the La Laguna bowl.

View attachment 6057
Todays view!!!

View attachment 6058
Todays View!!!

View attachment 6059
Todays traverse out of the bowl through a forest that reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. Snow was pretty packed there.. had some Deeeeeep powder in the trees in another section.

3 solid days of pow Slack Country riding and lots of hiking... I'm beat. Glad I got a chance to put up some pics! WINTER IS ALMOST HERE PEOPLE!!!!!!:D:thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
And YES I did see my first ever human triggered avalanche. Argentine guy that didn't know what he was doing Just headed into the back country with another guy and no gear. Slab broke above him and he almost rode it out.. got caught in it at the bottom luckily the slide stopped just as it caught him and he was able to get right out... :eek: scary thing to watch.

#6 ·
Very nice Karasene! Psyched you are having a great time. One of these years I am going to put together a summer trip down there. I should have done it when I was much younger.

As for the dude in an avalanche. Gear really doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. It's a last ditch effort to save your or someone else's bacon if it all goes south. Obviously if he was carrying gear he would have probably of been thinking about the danger and maybe not have chosen that line. He is lucky to get out relatively unscathed. Especially since he triggered a slab that broke above him. More often than not that situation ends badly, even if the victim was carrying avy gear.

#7 ·
Yeah that is true. The sport is way behind down here. Resorts don't do any snow blasting and there are a lot of dangerous areas even in bounds. The guys with SASS were saying how lucky the Argentines have been so far.. A lot of guys drop together in a group the guys here are afraid one day they're going to hear about an entire gang bang of dead skiers off one of these mountains. For the most part many of them just follow our head guy.. They know if they see him hike and take a line it's safe. Others just go off and do what they want. No bueno.:thumbsdown:

They're calling for snow tonight and tomorrow!!! Hoping to finish the week with a couple more powder days! Very excited.:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Yeah true.

Here's a clip from today at sitting at the top of the bowl.

"This was right before our first run today. Hiked up into the bowl through some serious winds. Was pretty intense weather this morning. We were sitting just above a cornice we had to get past which broke when one of the guys was testing the stability of things. Awesome run tho!"

It hadn't snowed in 4 days in this footage.. its mainly all just wind whiped into the bowl. Its DUMPING right now tho. Tomorrow there's going to be lots of coverage in there.

#11 ·
Looks sick Karasene! Next summer is Disneyland for the kid, but the summer after that is looking like it will have to be somewhere quite a bit further south. Winter in the summer looks to good to pass up forever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.