Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Magnetraction vs Vario
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good ol' NS vs Lib

My two pickles:

Magnetraction: No comparison when it comes to edge hold on crap. It is hands down the best design for this purpose. One consistent problem is the complaints about it being too sticky. However, taking an edge tool to it will virtually alleviate this problem without sacrificing the edge hold.

Vario: The second best option (excluding magnetraction variations). Some people find this to be the best option because it's not as "sticky" as mtx. I ride on ice/hardpack 99.9% of the time and vario worked well enough. However, comparing the Evo to the Naner, the Naner holds up much better on ice. I make this comparison because both are softer decks. The naner even with its softer flex, still held it's edge really well on ice. The Evo got sketchy.

Keep in mind, I'm talking really shitty East Coast man-made snow.

Other observations are the Lib Techs are generally heavier. The Evo and Proto are noticeably lighter than the Naner and TRice (reg model). NS Topsheets, especially carbonium, are super durable. Lib Tech bases are more durable in my opinion though. Both brands' bases are plenty fast (sintered).

I haven't ridden the Heritage and I loved the T.Rice. Hard decision for sure though because the two NS boards I rode are my two current favorites for their intended use