Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - do u agree with this snowboard school ability chart??
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ballistic

ok.. i'll concede to you guys i know some of you are high level instructors and i certainly am not. But have a look at this chart here Snowboarding & Ski Ability | KeystoneResort.com
not only is it alot more detailed but if u look at thier 'intermediate' descriptions they essentially describe what whistler is calling "advanced". Heres an excerpt below. I really like thier ADVANCED description also, they call levels 7, 8, 9.

INTERMEDIATE- LEVEL 5

Description: You ski or ride comfortably and confidently on all “green circle” and most groomed “blue square” terrain at Keystone. You can link turns (mostly parallel for skiers) of varying sizes and you can control your speed in most situations by adjusting your line, with little need for braking (“gliding the slow line fast”).

What to expect—depending on your needs and goals:
- Explore higher speeds and more vigorous movements for shorter, complete turns.
- Develop higher edge angles and discover the control and sensations of carved turns.
- Gain confidence on steeper, more challenging groomed blue terrain.
- Venture into easiest ungroomed terrain.

INTERMEDIATE- LEVEL 6

Description: You are comfortable and confident on any groomed “blue square” terrain, and capable of skiing or riding easiest ungroomed and moguled blue terrain. You can link turns of varying size at moderate speed. If you are a skier, you are usually parallel, and you may use a pole swing or plant in most of your turns. Snowboarders are beginning to skid less, with the tail of the board following the tip, for more control of their line.

What to expect—depending on your needs and goals:
- Refine your balance, technique, and consistency.
- Explore technical options for more versatility, from pure-carved turns to braking. Skiers learn to use both skis independently, with step turns, stem turns, and one- or two-footed movements. Snowboarders develop rhythm and build your bag of tricks with more varied movement options.
- Explore tactical options for confidence in more challenging blue terrain and conditions, including the steepest blue square runs and easy moguls.

Last edited by Ballistic; 09-14-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote